Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first rifle, the Marlin XT22 TSR. When I was cleaning it I noticed my cleaning rod catching slightly in the chamber. It seems to be catching on a wire that runs diagonally from the back left of the chamber towards the middle. I have circled it in red in the attached photo. One of the joints in my cleaning rod caught on this when I was pulling it back down the barrel towards the breech. Is this part in the correct location, or is there something wrong here? As I mentioned it is my first rifle, so not sure if there is something wrong or not? Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_5778-circled.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, Matt_H! I looked through my manual and couldn't seem to find a visual reference… so started to think I had bent something out of shape. I will have to be careful when cleaning, as it seems to be in a position that makes it easy to catch on my cleaning rod when I am pulling the rod back through the barrel.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I just purchased my first rifle, the Marlin XT22 TSR. When I was cleaning it I noticed my cleaning rod catching slightly in the chamber. It seems to be catching on a wire that runs diagonally from the back left of the chamber towards the middle. I have circled it in red in the attached photo. One of the joints in my cleaning rod caught on this when I was pulling it back down the barrel towards the breech. Is this part in the correct location, or is there something wrong here? As I mentioned it is my first rifle, so not sure if there is something wrong or not? Any help would be much appreciated!

View attachment 728066
I believe that's the ejector pin (the thing that grabs the edge of the spent cartridge and stops it as the bolt continues backward) which causes the the case to flip out. I believe it's supposed to lie parallel to everything else in there, not at an angle.

Since I recently moved, everything's still packed up so I can't get you a photo of what it should look like. Also I couldn't seem to bring up a decent pic on Google.

Reactions: jclements

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
There's a pic from Google. Yep. Yours is bent, but that guy's it dirty :) ejector.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info JetBlack. Matt_H is hopefully going to post a reference photo for me. I wasn't able to find a thing on Google – no decent photos. I checked with one cartridge, and it loaded and ejected properly but I will need to test a bunch to be sure. I want to be sure the rifle is operating safely.

I believe that's the ejector pin (the thing that grabs the edge of the spent cartridge and stops it as the bolt continues backward) which causes the the case to flip out. I believe it's supposed to lie parallel to everything else in there, not at an angle.

Since I recently moved, everything's still packed up so I can't get you a photo of what it should look like. Also I couldn't seem to bring up a decent pic on Google.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did a Google search now that I know what the part is called. Searched "Marlin XT 22 TSR Ejector" and found a good image showing the ejector in the same position as mine. You can just barely see the tip of it, but it is sitting on an angle. Thanks again for your input JetBlack.
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 9.03.53 PM.png

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is mine. Yours doesn't look too bad. There is a side pic, top pic and I have a video showing it and the bolt movement, but I can't load it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Basically, that wire ejector should slide in a groove under the bolt. Mine actually moves to the side a little as I close the bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for confirming, Matt_H. My ejector looks the exact same. Phew.

Basically, that wire ejector should slide in a groove under the bolt. Mine actually moves to the side a little as I close the bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts