Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two 45-70's with different uses and need a hand in selecting factory ammunition. One has a scope that I use for shots 100 to 200 yards on deer and hogs up to 400 pounds( european) The other gun is used in heavy brush and comes with xs sights. This will be used for shots less than 50 yards on the same type of prey. If I had to go with only two typs of ammunition what would be my best choices. TY in advance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The least expensive yet more than capable of killing 400 lb hogs at 200 yards is hornady's LE 325 grain ammo. A better choice in my opinion, but a bit more expensive, is federal 300 grain ammo. These two options will give you the flattest trajectory of all the choices out there but truth be told any commercial hunting ammo for the 45-70 is more than capable of killing 400 lb hogs and a whole lot more at 200 yards. At 200 yards trajectory is the biggest issue for the 45-70.

·
Registered
321 Posts
soldierofchrist said:
If your looking for the least expensive and only going up to 400 lbs, the Leverevolution 325 FTX loads is hard to beat in price and trajectory.
I've tried both so far, they both cycle very good, and shoot well outta me 1895 GS. Because the federal's group tighter, that's what i well be using, heard alot of good things on the speer 300 gr bullet from the federal factory stuff...Lou

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Hammerdamage every gun is different :) you got 2 guns so you get to try this out and report back :)
My GG liked 300gr Fed blue box better than 325 ftx. Factory rem. 405gr shoot high and left at 30 yds and is a milder recoil Most likely I will not shoot because I have had success with reloads from 300,350 and 500 cast and they print close to Fed blue box.
Choose several boxes A. Blue box, 325 ftx and any other that apeals cost just over $100.
Then spend 1/2 a day of serious shooting. shoot any thing you have 3 shots or so out of each gun to prep your barrel for the test.
25-50yds how ever far you want but you need to shoot 6 groups at that range
then take 3 bullets from a box and shoot a group with the Iorn site gun benched as steady as you can ok. Let gun cool after each group and shoot the other 2 brands the same 3 groups of 3 shots,
Then take the scope gun and do the same at same distance. then you will know what gun likes what load. I would like to know if you would how the guns compare but keep notes for yourself :) 1 group isn't perfect but you will be glad to only shoot 24X
then you will have bullets to shoot your scope gun 300yrds to see what you want in the scope gun ;D ;D ;D
We are interested because every gun is different. Have fun and kill a hog :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts