Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I completely dis-assembled my DOM 2002 1895 Cowboy 45/70 Gov't Marlin lever rifle for a proper & thorough cleaning/inspection.....

I am almost finished re-assembling it *BUT* I cannot seem to get the lever installed so as to be able to get the lever screw to go in straight enough to start into the threads.

Have been trying different things, but nothing seems to allow the lever to align with it's screw hole .

*WHAT am I not doing correctly*? Can anyone offer suggestions?

Does the lever go in before the bolt and ejection spring? Or does the ejection spring and bolt go in receiver before installing the lever and it's screw?

I'm following the instructions in the thread below but can't seem to make the lever align properly to allow it's screw to thread in, no matter how I assemble the ejector spring, bolt and lever. I thought this would be the *easiest part of the re-assembly* LOL .. WHAT GIVES?

I've followed the instructions in the thread (see link) below, everything went well until time to install the lever...but can't get lever aligned...thought I might better ask before botching something up.......Thanks in Advance fellow MOF members.

Link to dis/reassbly thread I'm going by> http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Put in ejector, then bolt partially then lever . . never had a problem with mine try this youtube video

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video , I 'll watch it

. But I finally got it together before I returned to this thread but only with some help from MOF member Oz. I will save this video to my "favorites" though.

My problem was had I two short screws transposed. (the first two short screws he mentions as one being longer than the other in your video AAMOF) The front short trigger plate screw & one in receiver right above the lever screw.

And I did not have the end of lever that enters the receiver and bolt, in the slot , that is in the bolt , for lever to be in. Hope I worded that correctly so ya can understand my point...forgive me but it's 3:32 AM here. And I'm pretty tired. been up since 9:00AM this morning

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Happy day - next time it'll be a piece of cake.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the scope and the scope's base mount that is screwed to the receiver top.

And of course, now I have some holes left in top of the receiver. And no, the scope mounting base's screws are too long, and will hit the bolt when it slides back/forth, if I thread them in.

At a later time I planned to remount the scope,BUT, I'd like to do some target practice with it "scopeless". The holes detract from appearance, so wondering it ready made screws are purchasable, or if I'll have to fab my own?

Looks like it'll take some *very short screws*, and I'm thinking some allen head panhead type screws.

And I don't think it'll be anywhere near a length that's normally sold in hardware stores. greenels or MidwayUSA carry anything for this app?

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep, 1st time is always the most difficult. knowing all the little details is the key to any job. I'll whiz right through it next time.

While I am pretty mechanical I have little to no rifle or pistol dis/reassembly experience. BUT I'm working on that problem!

My previous shooting birds, rabbits and other small game and my guns was mostly DB shotguns which require very little in way of dis assbly.

22LR was only rifle I had as a young'n of 12-14 years of age, and didn't get to shoot it much unless we went "down home". But was good marksman with it...when I did get to fire it.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
You can get the reciever screws from midway or brownell's, they are cheap so get some extra's.
JB
Be sure that you purchase 4. They sell them by the each @ about $2.50 last time that I purchase any.

Reactions: MarlinManCB45/70

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get the reciever screws from midway or brownell's, they are cheap so get some extra's.
JB
Good was worried that maybe if I didn't have the originals I might be outta luck.

I need to learn *all about scopes*....... how to use and adjust while using them properly and , of course, how to set them up/bore sight them This is the *NEXT step*

can someone point me to good articles /in the right direction? Is a 'shooting bench" *a must* for this? or can it be done in sitting position/shoulderfired? have never bore sighted before. But my Father does have a Bushnell old style bore sighter he gave me.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be sure that you purchase 4. They sell them by the each @ about $2.50 last time that I purchase any.
what is the "proper name" for these screws on top of receiver to plug the scope mtg holes? having a hard time locating them on brownells site

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Marlin receiver plug screws at MidwayUSA,

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I don't even see them on Brownell's. They show available on Midway.

·
Super Moderator
16,030 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I watched numerous youtube videos on my 1895 before disassembly, it's my go to and forums for how to, before I start taking things apart that I'm unfamiliar with. Wish we had YouTube years ago, I'd have had better luck putting stuff together ;)

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The videos and instructions on dis/reassembly are decently good.

But both seem to leave out the "seemingly minor details for the experienced gun smith", but which are big stumbling blocks for the *very green beginner who is aspiring to be able to do all his own cleaning, dis and reassembling*(such as myself) in as the video/instructions author forgets to mention where the tang attached to the lever fits/mates/works with the bolt.

As if the beginner is already "in the know " about it, but of course , which he is not.

If they would include/state/show pics of this/things such as this, concerning reassembly, it'd be *an even greater help* to the beginner/novice .

The video mentioned the 2 screws I accidently transposed, but I did not see the lever rod and bolt mating/fits together sequence shown nor mentioned. And that is all that held me up/gave me problems.

This is just a suggestion from a very inexperienced beginner.............but alas, one that'd really help the beginner to re assemble his rifle in short order........and I'm not saying this to be derogatory...saying it just to help make info on this site *even better*.

So see...sometimes even the beginner's "ignorance" can be of use to authors of instructions/making videos ,in that the beginner can tell them what they felt what pertinent info would have help even more with their "beginner's problem".

But this is still a *great site* for Marlin Owners as we all know........

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't even see them on Brownell's. They show available on Midway.
Me neither. I'll try MidwayUSA . Thank you for the info.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Marlin man, don't buy those screws at Midway or Brownells. You'll pay too much if you do. Get the from the Skinner Sights web site for $.50 each (2 for a Dollar). They web page for these at Skinners is at the link below.

Special Items at Skinner Sights
Thank you for the money saving info. Just ordered them. I only needed 3 screws , but ordered 3 sets so have some spares. Might come in handy to have one day.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Filler screws available on eBay for $7.07 for 12 w/ free shipping - search "8-40 screws'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts