Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to determine what Burris Rifle Scopes I can install on my Marlin Model 1895 - 45-70. Many of you have already seen a photo of my rifle on other threads, but here it is again:

The mount-ring was on the rifle when I bought it at an auction. Its a good chance they are Marlin rings, but I don't know that for sure.

I am looking for a scope that has some features that the entry live scopes don't have, like visual marks in field of view for Windage, and also adjustment for the bullet's trajectory past 100 yards. Most 45-70 rounds trajectory is flat at 100 yards. I see other calibers in Burris's list of calibers it makes adjustment for trajectory, but the biggest bullet is 338. I don't see any 45 caliber bullets in their list of all the Burris Scopes I have reviewed on line so far. I have no intention of attempting shots on game over 120 or 125 yards, but 100 yards may not be quite enough. Anyway, PA is a "Brush" state, we normally don't get long range shots at game here anyway.

Here are some measurements of the Rings-mount:

The inside diameter of the rings: 1"
The inside distance between Rings: 2 3/16"
The distance between the front of the scope ring to the rear sight on the barrel: 2 11/16"
The distance between the top of the rear sight to the bottom of the front scope ring: 1/4"

The headache I had trying to mount a modern scope on my Winchester Model 94 with a Weaver mount was that any scope that had a "bell" shape on the front of the scope couldn't clear the rear sight. I had my LGS try several scopes but none of them would work. (Leupold VX-1 for example). I told the LGS that I would not remove the rear sight. I have seen ads where the owner of a rifle said the "rear sight was missing" so the rear sight stays. My LGS had to put a Weaver side mount on that was higher than the one that was on the rifle when I bought it inorder to clear the rear sight. Its a Simmons 3 x 9 32mm scope. It is not an expensive scope ($50) but its for the range, and low light shooting was not a concern. Anyway it was the only new scope he had that would clear the rear sight on the barrel, just barely.

What I am hoping for is a Burris scope that has a bell of less than 32mm and has the windage, trajectory, and illumination. Hopefully, under $300 on Optic Planet, but $400 would be stretching it. I need other things from Optic Planet and I have to be careful about money, no job.

I have read some threads of other Model 1895 owners that successfully mounted a scope on their rifle, but so far, I haven't seen one that has the features I would like in a scope.

The reason I want a Burris Scope is a number of my more experienced hunting friends told me that Burris was "brighter" than Leupold and was more bang for the buck.

If anyone can tell me what they bought that fit on the 1895 without removing the rear sight, fill me in. Tell me what you have and if it was a good fit for you and the Model 1895. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a weaver base ( any standard base will work) and Luepold rings. i am also using a Luepold VX Hog scope 1x4 it does not have the front "bell".
with scopes you want to try and keep them as low as possible (within reason) Gun Shooting sport Shooting Benchrest shooting Air gun

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mike T. first things first, get rid of the see thru rings, can't get a good cheek weld with those things. Next, get a Weaver 63 or equilivant mount and a set of Weaver Quad-Lok Rings, probly med height and mount them. With that setup you should be able to mount a 3-9X40 scope with no problems. Use Blue Lock-tite on the scope mount screws. Good luck and keep us in the loop as to how this works out for you, John.

Reactions: Plano

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike and Frank.

Thanks for you replies. So Frank, the see-thru rails are crap. I see then listed on Opticsplanet for evertthing Marlin. I am searching for the Weaver Mount you recommended, no luck so far. I will check Weaver's Home Page.

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I removed the rear sight on my Guide gun for a specific reason---I installed a receiver sight. After using it, I felt I wanted a scope on the rifle.

So, I installed a scope system, used that for a while, and decided to try something else. A red-dot sight. On goes a Burris Fast-Fire II.

After using all three sight systems, I've concluded that for me and the game I principally hunt with that rifle, the scope was the best set-up, all factors considered.

The factory set-up was crap, plain and simple. The Receiver sight is a huge improvement. The scope helps when lighting is low and is more precise, and the red-dot is the ultimate when hunting pigs with hounds, you can acquire your target "Right now", but precision is lost.

What I settled on, given the nature of the use of rifle.

Leupold FX-II Ultralight, Talley lightweights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't necessarily think that the see thru rings are "crap" but I don't care for them. My Dad had a pair of Holden Ironsighter see thrus and a steel Weaver K4 on his .32 special 336SC for almost 40 years. Shot a lot of deer with it. (I took them off and mounted a Williams receiver sight on it after I inherited it - sorry dad). Anyway, I have scopes on three of my levers; 4x on a 336C, 1.5-4x on a 444P and a 2.5x on my 1895G. The last two are pictured below.

444P Outfitter with Leupold 1.4-4x

1895G Guide Gun (.45-70) with Weaver K2.5x

In my experience I have rarely found a need for anything over 4x for most of my rifles. I do have higher power scopes but typically have them set on 3x or 4x, except for my varmint rifles, then it's usually "the more, the better".

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Vic

I am gun shy when it comes to removing the rear sight. There may be a time when I want to use the rifle for brush hunting bears, and I might not need a scope.

You setup looks good.

Diamien:

I like the setup on your 1895 Guide Gun. I'm still having trouble finding any of the numbers you guys gave me on Weaver's site.

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Mike, I used mine for quite some time with a receiver sight, which I feel is superior in every way to a (semi)buckhorn. Less animal covered up by sight, longer sight radius, etc..

Same rifle

My M94 Winchester, which is not compatible with optics, has one, also.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Stuff you guys, I hope to get some time today looking for some of your recommendations!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Mike
Another option is the XS LeverRAIL.! You can mount scope, red dot or whatever you like with Quick Detach rings and it has a Ghost Ring mounted on the rear for those times you want Quik shootin with Irons/Peeps...

Take a look at them...

BloodGroove4570

PS
Also take a look at Williams "Ace In The Hole" good mount too!

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
My suggestion/opinion is to mount a picitinny rail on the top of the receiver, get quick detatch pic rings so you can easily go from open sights to scoped...
And, while you are at it, get the highest mag scope as it helps to see what you're looking at a looooong ways off...
The 45-70 has more range than most shooters can see...
my opinion only...

Reactions: cds4570

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
My suggestion/opinion is to mount a picitinny rail on the top of the receiver, get quick detatch pic rings so you can easily go from open sights to scoped...
And, while you are at it, get the highest mag scope as it helps to see what you're looking at a looooong ways off...
The 45-70 has more range than most shooters can see...
my opinion only...
It will shoot a long distance, but the elevation required to do so will outrun a scope's vertical adjustment range pretty quickly. Even with barn burner velocity loads.

A scope in the range of 2-7x or 1.5-4.5x is sufficient for nearly everyone but Mr Magoo.

JMHO

Reactions: papajohn

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Leupold is brighter than Burris at least that's what it looks like to me.
My SBL has a scout scope mounted on the rail and I love the fixed 2.5
power. I'd steer away from variable power scopes unless you really need
them and you don't with a 45-70. Fixed power scopes are brighter and have
less that can go wrong.
Look at how many people get a 2-7 and want to trade it for a fixed power.

if you are doing 600 yard shots it won't be with a 45-70, although the gun
is capable of doing it if you range it like a mortar.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What Fixed power Scope are you suggesting?

I am not interested in shooting long distances. PA is primary brush gun territory. I don't know that I would want to attempt any shot over 120 or 125 yards. Most of the time I would be looking for a closer shot. Any game I spot that I know i can't hit dead to rights goes on its merry way.

Mike T.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

I am using a inexpensive (cheap) Barska 4x that I found for $30.00, have fired 100s of rounds and still staying true. Says rimfire scope on it but since it holds up not really concerned.

Used medium height rings and folded the rear sight down, not sure if yours would also fold down.

Ignore the poor quality photo, I oil the metal parts liberally when putting in the safe and the dust glints when the camera flash goes off.

Recommend trying something similar and cheap so if you break it no big loss.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Trigger

My 1895 has an XS Sight Systems scout scope rail and sights with a Leopold 1.5-5 X 33 VXR scout scope. The rings are Leopold quick release. The set up is probably more than you want to spend now, but the concept is solid--fixed sights with a quick release scope. You can certainly get a less expensive scope and use the same concept. With the 45-70 you probably won't be doing such long range shooting that the bullet drop compensator systems are necessary.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Another possibility with the picitinny rail is the use of a ladder sight in the rear sight with a taller front sight to compensate for. That way, just pop off the scope, raise the calibrated ladder to your desired yardage, have fun... just an idea... that's what is on my CB1895, except I don't have the pic rail on it right now...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use a 2.5x28 scout scope more than 2.5x is bad for close up shots and it's plenty
powerful out to 150 yards. I think 4x is just too powerful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.