Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Must be Marlin Lever action Pistol Caliber rifles

2.) Scoped Rifles shot at 100 yards.

3.) Iron or open sights shot at 50 yards.

4.) Shot groups measured center to center.

5.) Target = 3"x 5" post card

Any other suggestion? I'm new at this so help me out.

RV

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Any aiming marks allowed on the card or leave it blank? What kind, if any?

Assuming we can keep all the shots on a 3 x 5" card, of course. But then, I guess we could keep shooting until we get five shots on target. Might be better to designate a 8 x 11" target so everyone is shooting at the same thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let the target be a 8" x 11" white paper, with diagonal lines drawn with a standard ball-point pen, from corner to corner. Like a big X. I don't have a scanner, so how will I get my target posted?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Stallard: Go over to Ranch Dog's match on Beartooth. Read his rules, they are pretty straightforward. Something similar should work for you. No use re-inventing the wheel. As you may know, this is RD's second postal match. I've participated in both with my Marlin 1894SS in . 44 Rem. Magnum. Both in the scoped and iron sight categories at 100 and 50 yards respectively. I just mount and remove the scope as needed.
His had a power limitation on scopes to 4X. Last year the target was 3X5 card with two diagonal lines corner to corner. We all agreed that they were dificult to see, much less shoot at, and came up with a much better target for this years match. His match last year was on Marlin Talk and limited to Marlins. This year it is open to all centerfire lever guns.

If you do go ahead and organize one here at MarlinOwnersForum, please make sure you get Larry to make a sticky for you.

Good luck. P.S. If you'd like to PM me for questions or more info, feel free to do so.

Luisyamaha

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Rv,
Get your rifle fired up and get some targets shot. It is a lot of fun, frustrating, but fun :?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late for Ranch dog's

Ranch dog's PM hmmm, Don't think I'll have time for that one as I am still trying to figure out loads for my FG. I will be shooting in the NEF Centerfire PM @ Graybeards, which cards aren't due until October.
Might just research and find the matches already on the calender rather than trying to organize one here. It doesn't seem as if many are very interested at MOT. Perhaps time will bring more interest, and we'll try again next year.
RV

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
We have posted Ranch Dogs match on the big bore forum but not much interest. Cant figure out why guys wouldnt rather shoot, than just talking about shooting....go figure. I didnt knoe about the NEF on Greybeard, might have to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts