Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help me understand the lever/bolt lock. I have a new GG and sometimes it seems the bolt lock doesn't drop and locks up the bolt. it appears the hook on the lever connects to the bolt lock and starts its drop. the gun is new and never fired and the action was a little tight. I stripped it down and cleaned up the ruff machining on the bearing surfaces and it cycles very smooth but if I move the lever off closed 1/4'' and stop, then try to cycle it slowly it wants to lock. I can see the locking block is up in the reciever and hasn't dropped. it seems to me that the lever starts the drop of the bolt lock and then gravity takes it over. I'm wondering how much and how long does the hook on the lever stay in contact to drop the bolt lock? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You gave a good description and you are correct, about 1/4" after the lever opens it would disconnect from the locking bolt. Yours is new and tight. It will loosen up after you put a few rounds through it. The lever is meant to be operated quickly on a lever action rifle, when you work it slowly it may not give enough momentum to the locking bolt to drop it all the way down. At least that's my theory.

·
Registered
700 Posts
All levers operate best with a continuous moderately strong stroke of the lever. Trying to operate the lever slowly is just about guaranteed to cause a jam or hang up of some fashion.

1,875 Posts
Tracker,
The previous two posters are both correct, but I have never had a bolt fail to drop out of lock, regardless of cycling speed. That leads me to believe you have one of 3 issues: 1) you re-assembled using a thick grease; 2) a burr or some type of debris is causing the locking block to hang up; or 3) there is an issue with fitment of the lever. The "paw" on the lever that engages its opposite on the block may be too short, disengaging prematurely. I would investigate items 1 and 2 first, then get back to us.

AD

Reactions: lescarpentier

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracker,
The previous two posters are both correct, but I have never had a bolt fail to drop out of lock, regardless of cycling speed. That leads me to believe you have one of 3 issues: 1) you re-assembled using a thick grease; 2) a burr or some type of debris is causing the locking block to hang up; or 3) there is an issue with fitment of the lever. The "paw" on the lever that engages its opposite on the block may be too short, disengaging prematurely. I would investigate items 1 and 2 first, then get back to us.

AD
one and two are not an issue. the lock to bolt fit is kind of tight. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the operation of the action. I have worked on a lot of different guns but this is the first time I opened a lever action. I believe a Winchest has linkage that doesn't disengage I think.

1,875 Posts
one and two are not an issue. the lock to bolt fit is kind of tight. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the operation of the action. I have worked on a lot of different guns but this is the first time I opened a lever action. I believe a Winchest has linkage that doesn't disengage I think.
You are correct about the Wini. Not sure I understand "the lock to bolt fit is kind of tight." The the engagement surfaces of the lock and bolt are tapered. Even if the lock up tight, the lever paw should be pulling the lock out of any tight lockup before disengaging. Once free of lock, there should be no reason for the block to drop out completely. Is it not coming out of lock at all? Does it make any difference whether the hammer is back or down? When down, it should keep the bolt in full battery so the extractor tension doesn't shove it rearward a smidge. If the hammer is back when cycling the extractor might move the bolt rearward just enough to put friction on the locking lug, causing it to hang up. But otherwise it would have to be the lever engagement.

AD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when it is locked up looking at the bottom of the receiver the block is not even with the bottom of the receiver, its about 1/4'' up in the receiver. when cycling properly the bolt lock block is flush with the bottom of the receiver. it makes no difference where the hammer is. if anything is suspect it would have to be the lever. I agree that even with a tight lock up the lever should pull it loose. this GG has the big lever. I like the pistol grip stock but not real hot on the big loop. if I end up changing the lever should I stay with stock Marlin parts?

1,875 Posts
Tracker,
It definitely sounds like the lever is not quite doing its job. No excuse for the locking block not to pull free of lockup, regardless of how slow or fast you move the lever. If you're not fond of the factory big loop, try something else. A standard factory loop will also fit your rifle, and may correct the situation. Our RPP loop is more of a medium loop. And we actually machine the paw with a few thousands extra, then hand file to final fit. If a factory loop won't do the job, then try ours. Just drop us a line when ordering and we will leave the paw full length for you to fit yourself. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts