Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked up a few levers over the last 3 years.
I would like to get rid of 2 of them to make room in the safe.
From the standpoint of hunting, target shooting/plinking and overall use which ones would you definitley keep and why?

Marlin 39A Golden Mountie '69
Marlin 1894C .357 with Ballard rifling.
Marlin 1894S .44 with Ballard rifling.
Marlin 336 in .35 Rem (pre-safety that is unbelievably accurate)

Winchester 9422 magnum (older pre-USARC model)
Winchester pre-64 94 in .30-30 (1957 model)
Winchester 94BB in .375 Winchester.

Tha Mountie stays for sure but wanted you to know the whole line up.
I would like to add a .45-70 to the collection down the road.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would just buy a bigger safe :D If I lived closer, I would volunteer to keep a couple for you-in particular, the 357 and 44 Marlins.

Of what you have listed, though, my picks to go would be the 35 and the 375(although I probably wouldn't be able to get rid of them). Have you considered getting a bigger safe?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would sell the .44 and the .375. The .375 because it is a post 64, and the .35 rem can do anything it can do. The .44 because the .357 is more versatile/fun to shoot.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd get a bigger safe or second safe (better as it will give you more room for more good guns). Failing that, I would keep these

39M
1894C

Sell whatever else you don't like and then get the .45-70. What you'll have left is what you want AND can use.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry didn't answer your Q. If I had to choose what to keep for sure the Mountie and the .35, the pre-64 Winny and finally the 1894 .357. Still I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them but if I were in your shoes and HAD to sell off two guns the ones I didn't list would be easier for me to let go of.

Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Hobie, I just noticed you're from Staunton, VA. I think I used to stop at a Dairy Rite(I think) whenever I could in Staunton for a milkshake and a cheeseburger. There were pictures of the Statler Bros or the Oak Ridge Boys all over the place. Am I thinking of the right place? If I am, how about having a milkshake for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. Let's continue this a bit.

1) I'm not getting a bigger safe. I'm getting married and will be moving again in the Spring. The idea here is to thin out some of the guns that cover the same roles and to consolidate the number of calibers I have to buy ammo for. SOme of these haven'e been shot in over 2 years.
2) Companion caliber revolvers. I have 8 S&W revolvers chambered in .357 so that coupled with the fact that the 1894C is so dang fun to shoot makes me want to keep it.
I have 2 S&W revolvers in .44 mag. But I just purchased a '63 Ruger 44 carbine in very good condition that could fill the same role as the 1894S and will only go up in value. I will lose the ability to shoot .44 Specials out of the rifle but how big of a deal is that? Also, if I really need the extra energy of the heavy 300gr .44's then maybe I should reach for the .35 or the .45-70 I'd like to buy.
I have a 3-screw Single-Six Magnum with an additional .22 LR cylinder fitted to it. I'm not real sold on the .22 magnum in a lever gun or in the revolver for that matter. It's marginally accurate and looks stupid with a scope on it. Besides, wouldn't the 1894C with .38 +P's equal any .22 mag load out to say 75 yds?
3) I'd really like to move back up to a .45-70 or .450 Marlin. Help me decide but either is going to surpass the 94BB even though it is a dream to carry, shoots well and will only keep going up in price.
4) If I kept the .35 and .357 and eventually got into relaoding can't yuou load 158 gr pistols bullets in the .35 Rem? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Those are all real nice. Not trying to be cryptic, but only you know which ones you don't shoot anymore and are willing to let go. I agree with the ones saying to go get another safe and keep all of them. I hope your intended is not making you do this.... :(

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
For me it'd be easy. I sell the Winchesters. Not the 9422 tho, I like them. I'd sell the 1894c & keep the 9422.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The intended is very Pro-Gun and actually has a S&W 34, S&W 65LS and has taken over my 640-1 in .357 magnum. She is supportive of my addiction. One reason I will be marrying her!! :lol:
Thanks for the replies.
Which would you keep?
Which ones are the most versatile and fun?
I respect the opinions shared here as many of you have spent much more time than I have wringing out the leverguns with more ammo than I can ever afford.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What would you use a lever-action .22 mag for?

What would you use a lever-action .375 for?

·
Registered
455 Posts
WFR said:
What would you use a lever-action .22 mag for?

What would you use a lever-action .375 for?
Too shoot, what else?

Bill

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well',If I had to, the Win.9422,win.375,win.30-30,and then,...thenthe Marlin .357,in that order.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Being on the wrong side of 50, I've sold/traded more guns than I presently own....usually because I wanted another and couldn't afford it. Sell if you must, but years from now, you'll feel like I do and wish you hadn't. (except for the SBH from hell :p )

·
Registered
482 Posts
When you get to reloading the .35 will shoot pistol bullets. Mine has abolutely on throat and the SWC's I cast have to be seated at least to the middle of the front driving band. Jacketed bullets or a RN might not be such an issue.

Paco Kelly related about a freind of his who killed every thing he needed with a 94/22 mag. Carried it on a ranch. Granted he didn't hunt much with it but it worked well fo rthat guy.

Personally not real fond of the .22 mag but here you can use rim fire in the fall turkey season but no centerfire. I have considered a .22 mag for them. You would still need to call them in close and a chest/base of the neck shot does wonders and the missus doesn't complain about lead shot in the meat.

Your 375 has much more whump than the .35 but if you are getting a 45-70 there isn't much the 375 can do that the 45-70 can't do better.

Lately due to finances I have passed on a couple of guns because they were chambered for things I don't reload for already. So unless you just like to have different calibers culling down to what you shoot the most or reload for is wise.

My .02 and probably not worth that. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the honest replies.
I'm leaning towards letting the 94BB .375 and the .22 mag 9422.
If I let a 3rd go it will be the 1894S in .44 or the 336 in .35.

So, would .22, .357, .35, .44 cover all the bases until I get a .45-70?

These are my thoughts so far. I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
455 Posts
WFR said:
Thanks for the honest replies.
I'm leaning towards letting the 94BB .375 and the .22 mag 9422.
If I let a 3rd go it will be the 1894S in .44 or the 336 in .35.

So, would .22, .357, .35, .44 cover all the bases until I get a .45-70?

These are my thoughts so far. I'm not in a hurry.
What bases do you need covered? Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't give any of your levers up, Winchester or Marlin ...

Bill

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tubby,I gotta agree with you there,there is a couple of guns in the past that were such a pain that I was not missing them! One was a nylon 66 with The clip instead of a tube magazine and with all my work that damn thing would not feed and the magazines always split where they were glued together.I did ,however, get a good price so it was worth selling it.Shootrj2003

1 - 20 of 27 Posts