Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Me personally if I already had a Marlin that I used for everything (that's me) then I wouldn't step out for the Henry. I have several Marlins and wouldmn't trade any of them for a Henry. But that is just me. With the loads I worked up they are all tack drivers and my SBL is my go to rifle for all hunting. The deer and elk can attest to that. And like was said I think the price is a little high.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
The price is way too high. Ask him for a price of the rifle only. If you want a Henry, you might look for a different caliber than the one you already have. How about a 308? That caliber has more ammunition options than you can shake a stick at. JackTW suggested I get that caliber a few years ago and my nephew went with me to the dealer to get one. I got a CZ550 with a 26" heavy barrel and a SET trigger. Get suggestion by Jack. I stocked up on ammunition and its a good thing I did.

Cheers

Mike T.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yes, prices are high but the guys that say they won't pay that are not in the market for them. I find most of the time, such folks already have one that they bought back in "the good old days".

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
I bought a used Henry 45-70AW for 800 bucks earlier this year from the LGS. It is a later model which has been upgraded/reinforced in the tube mag area. Shoots both my Trap Door and full-up Marlin loads with no problem and very accurately. I finally have a 45-70 carbine that can withstand inclement weather. Henry makes some very good quality rifles and has a first rate customer service department---the best in the industry.
As far as the Henry offered to you---I think the price is high. I would wait for a better deal IMHO.
Musical instrument Wood Audio equipment Flooring Office equipment

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you are not in the market for a new Henry 45-70 then I wouldn’t expect you to be aware of the current prices. I just checked the last 12 sales on GB. Most were $1500-$1800! There was one at $1,150. Then add tax, shipping & FFL fees. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I don’t need another 45-70. I still don’t understand why I’m drawn to owning a Henry. Maybe I’ll look for one in 22 WMR. Thanks again!

·
Registered
831 Posts
That there's a good reason to not buy on GB. Look at the other sites that are NOT driven by auction prices.

Check Henry prices on GunsAmerica and GunsInternational and I think you'll find it easy to find one under 1k.

I have a Henry BB 45-70 purchased off GA about 2.5-3yrs ago and it's a well made, accurate rifle. This was it's very first morning in the woods with me in 2019

Organism Grass Terrestrial animal Bird Electric blue

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That there's a good reason to not buy on GB. Look at the other sites that are NOT driven by auction prices.

Check Henry prices on GunsAmerica and GunsInternational and I think you'll find it easy to find one under 1k.

I have a Henry BB 45-70 purchased off GA about 2.5-3yrs ago and it's a well made, accurate rifle. This was it's very first morning in the woods with me in 2019

View attachment 867979
You are spot on! After checking a few out of state vendors prices are much lower.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts