Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is turning 12 this coming spring,and I want to get him a new marlin for his birthday.I have been trying to decide which model to get him. I started out looking at 2 but now I am looking at 3..I am looking at the 336Y,the 1894C and the 1894FG. So my question is,if you were going to buy a 12 year old one of these.Which one would you buy and why??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I just love picking out guns for kids, esp their first one. that is the one that always seems so special. I still have mine!

I think I would go with the 336Y, It would seem to have a little wider application. You could down load the 30-30 so the recoil is not too bad, and could load it up as he got older. Dont get me wrong the other 2 are good rifles also, but I think the 30-30 would serve him well.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Its tough to say without knowing how big your son is but you can't go wrong with the spikehorn in the 30/30..An american legend for taking your first deer..My sons are only 6 and 2 and I would like to purchase one for each now..I can't wait.

Good luck and as long as its a Marlin you can't go wrong. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Its tough to say without knowing how big your son is but you can't go wrong with the spikehorn in the 30/30..An american legend for taking your first deer..My sons are only 6 and 2 and I would like to purchase one for each now..I can't wait.

Good luck and as long as its a Marlin you can't go wrong. :lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is not a small boy,He has shot my 375,356,35,30-30,1894-44 mag and he has even shot my 1895-45/70 with some of my lighter loads.And has not complaned about recoil.But all of these are out of balance for him.he has to shoot with a rest.He needs a gun that is shorter and lighter.That would be easier for him to handle and carry.
Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Spikehorn and 30/30 for the same reasons as before and sounds perfect for what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The 336 in .30-30 will work for him long after he's reached adulthood. If you see a good buy on a full sized buttstock, I'd pick that up later, as he will eventually need the longer length of pull as he grows to full size!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm going to be different......Does he have a .22? If not, that is the thing to do right now. You have several rifles he can hunt with for the time being. He needs to go out and shoot thousands of rounds right now. Even a decent air rifle would be more useful to him than a rifle he might shoot only a few rounds out of every so often. In three or four years you'll have a better idea of what kind of deer gun he'll need.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Guy`s

Do somthing different for the boy.Pick up a used 35 Remington and cut down the barrel to 16.5 inches.I see stocks for the 336 marlin on Ebay that have been cut down for children every now and then and they go real cheap.Its somthing that isn`t the normal same old same old and he can grow into it and pass it down to his kids.

Riflemen10x

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tubby
He has been shooting my .22 for about 4 years if not longer.I reload so we do alot of shooting,We live out in the country, so we just shoot out behind the house any time we want.I want to get him a rifle that fits him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to second the .35 suggestion. My boy is about to turn 7 and get a .22 that fits him proper. I have a .35 that I carry and love but when I find a 'better' one I'll have it cut down to fit him. Since you reload and can shoot when you want to it should be no trick to buy cheap 110gr bullets for .38 spl and develop a load that hits real close to POA/POI of hunting loads.

On this same forum .35 Hunter has some real good safe looking data that takes the .35 on up where it should be. So again you reload and have a place to shoot a lot so from mouse to moose a .35 would serve him well.

This may not be a consideration but... Around here if you tell Bubba you hunt with a 30-30 the misconception about the killing power and range kicks in and they look at you like their 'teched cousin'. Same Bubba is all kind of impressed with a .35 Remington. This boggles my mind since on paper they look very similar. I guess I'm saying fewer kids at school will pick on the caliber of his rifle.

B.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will say maybe the spikehorn or the 1894c. The spikehorn's merits have already been stated. So I will not spend any time on that. I do not own an 1894 but it seems the idea of being able to burn 50 rounds of .38 special fo 7.00 bucks or so sounds great to me. To practice with the gun you hunt with is a great way to build confidence with your gun. Good luck.

G

·
I gave my son a M1894 44 mag at about that age, it fit him and he shot lots of deer with it. In our area it's a handier and deadly deer gun.

I like the idea of the spike horn also. I would think it's a good one for anyone.

But, with your son's experience level, maybe he has his 'druthers, what does he prefer?

Best,

Grizz

·
Registered
125 Posts
1894C. Because when he outgrows it, you can have it, and they're a lot of fun.

If you can persuade him to give it up...

By the way, you're a good dad!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spiky and the '94 are both grteat choices,hard to go wrong.
I lean towards the '94,shorter action.44 if after deer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the .35 Remmington caliber and cutting down the stock, excellent idea. Its a great deer caliber with a little bit of individuality, and recoil not bad at all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have not thought of the 35 rem, but it would work.He really enjoys shooting my 356. But there is no way I could cut a 336ER down.But I could cut a 35 rem in 336 down, and when he is older and biger I could let him use the 356 win.Or I could get the 336Y in 30/30.What do yall think would be best :?: we will be hunting deer and hogs around here.And there will no shots over a 100 yards.Most shots are at less than 75 yards.
Thanks....

·
Registered
48 Posts
In that case a '94 in .44mag.Holds more rounds than a 30/30 ever will.
Load 'em up or down,hits like the hammer of Thor.Shorter stoke in the lever.Can even use 44spl for plinking.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Deerdown, Which ever rifle you purchase don't forget to have him wear the type of clothes he will wear during hunting season in your area. If you cold weather hunt you will have to take into consideration the extra layers of clothes in determining the proper length. Likewise if you hunt in moderate weather you will shorten it a bit less. With a new shooter I believe it is easier to deal with too short a butt then it is one too long. I think the 35 remington is a great round and a good compramise. If you are hunting in heavy brush areas with close in shots I have to agree the 44 is also a great rifle. Whichever you decide on you are and will be creating memories of a lifetime. Enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I still like the Spikehorn and 30/30 but if you do go with the 35 which is an excellent round, order a spiky butt stock from Marlin. I believe it will fit and as he gets older you can put on the original stock again. :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts