Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after all the defects that I found in my 336ss, the dealer agreed to issue a full refund. Now I have the problem of finding a new rifle. I definitely want it to be a 30-30. I'm open to different brands, but what should I get?

Here are my options:
1. Try to find a defect free remlin 336ss
2. Buy a new henry or other lever action 30-30 but keep the cost around 700
3. Buy a used preremlin 30-30

If I go with option 3, what problems should I look for in the gun? I'm relatively new and naïve with lever rifles.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Best place to start is where you are already...on this forum. I've only been on here a few months and found nothing but the best as far as people go and the info they're willing to share. I've bought a half dozen 30/30 and a couple of .35s and haven't come across one yet that had any problems shooting. The older Marlin's seem to be the way to go. You can find hardly used one's that haven't been fired much just about anywhere. Here on this site, pawn shop, gunbrokers.com and many more. Hang out here and you'll soon be bosting about the good deal you found.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
Make sure it has the JM proof mark just on front of the left side of the receiver. All JM Marlins have this proof stamp, usually at that location. You can determine the year of manufacture in most rifles by subtracting 100 from the first two digits. For example--you find a rifle that has 12XXXXX as a serial number. 100-12= 88, so the rifle was made in 1988. I wouldn't buy a rifle newer than the 2009 year of manufacture (100-91=09 or 2009). Most Marlin manufacturing was moved from the old Marlin CT Marlin plant to the Remington NY plant in 2010.

Reactions: wyldewoodwonder

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Good quality well cared for Marlins come up for sale often enough with a little patience, so I'd go for a nice used one myself and keep my eyes open. Personally, I prefer the somewhat older ones with smooth non-checkered stocks, gold triggers, nice bluing, etc., etc.; but that's just me... :biggrin:
I also like Brownings/BLR's and all...
Those brass receiver Henry's kinda' turn me on... if only they made one in .35 rem, ha!
Then there's also.... :flute:
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I picked up a used 336 from my local gunsmith for $370. The price seemed a little high, but the guy knows his stuff and gave me a bore light to see the rifling which looked excellent. The stock is a little beat up, but I'm thinking that I could refinish it. There is also a little bit of surface rust, but I don't think that is unreasonable. The first two numbers on the tang are 20, so I'm guessing this gun was made in 1980. He also had a marlin 30-30 from the 40's in his shop. I plan on removing the scope and replacing it with a skinner peep sight. Any other suggestions would be great. He also had a Winchester model 94 in his shop that he wanted $420 for that I almost pulled the trigger on, but I decided on buying this marlin. Overall I'm very happy. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You got a great rifle at a great price. They sale in the 5 hundreds around here. The Skinner peep sight is as good as you can get in my opinion. I would remove the scope add the Skinner peep, shoot it and determine how tall a front sight you need. If your going to hunt the rifle then buy the appropriate height front sight. I would go with a green fiber optic front sight. Congrats on a fine rifle.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Good choice, and the price was right. The Skinner is an excellent choice, too.

Gabby has good info for the front sight, too. Fiber optic front sights are kinda space age, but they work great.

Congrats.

Brocky

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
You did good. Real good. One sorta minor thing, though? Some yahoo drilled a hole in the Marlin trademark bullseye* for the rear sling stud. I'd order a new bullseye, and move the stud. Very nice Marlin, though.

* The bullseye goes on Marlins with walnut stocks. It was originally put there to make Marlins easily visible on the racks of firearms dealers.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Well I picked up a used 336 from my local gunsmith for $370. The price seemed a little high, but the guy knows his stuff and gave me a bore light to see the rifling which looked excellent. The stock is a little beat up, but I'm thinking that I could refinish it. There is also a little bit of surface rust, but I don't think that is unreasonable. The first two numbers on the tang are 20, so I'm guessing this gun was made in 1980. He also had a marlin 30-30 from the 40's in his shop. I plan on removing the scope and replacing it with a skinner peep sight. Any other suggestions would be great. He also had a Winchester model 94 in his shop that he wanted $420 for that I almost pulled the trigger on, but I decided on buying this marlin. Overall I'm very happy. View attachment 119452 View attachment 119453 View attachment 119454

:congrats:
Congrats,
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats! Nice rifle, and as I said earlier personally prefer the older ones looking like that. She should serve you well; enjoy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I picked up a used 336 from my local gunsmith for $370. The price seemed a little high, but the guy knows his stuff and gave me a bore light to see the rifling which looked excellent. The stock is a little beat up, but I'm thinking that I could refinish it. There is also a little bit of surface rust, but I don't think that is unreasonable. The first two numbers on the tang are 20, so I'm guessing this gun was made in 1980. He also had a marlin 30-30 from the 40's in his shop. I plan on removing the scope and replacing it with a skinner peep sight. Any other suggestions would be great. He also had a Winchester model 94 in his shop that he wanted $420 for that I almost pulled the trigger on, but I decided on buying this marlin. Overall I'm very happy. View attachment 119452 View attachment 119453 View attachment 119454
Before Remlin the price may have been a tad high, but with deer season just around the corner and this one being a pre-safety model, I really don't see you doing any better. As far as the stock, just looks like honest use to me, and if you intend to hunt with it you will eventually add a few of your own - at least kluztes like me do so on a regular basis. I think you did well and will really like it with the Skinner sight.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Very nice, and a pre safety gun to boot. You did well grasshopper. :shot:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You did good. Real good. One sorta minor thing, though? Some yahoo drilled a hole in the Marlin trademark bullseye* for the rear sling stud. I'd order a new bullseye, and move the stud. Very nice Marlin, though.

* The bullseye goes on Marlins with walnut stocks. It was originally put there to make Marlins easily visible on the racks of firearms dealers.
Now that you mention it, that does bother me. I can pick up a new bullseye relatively cheap, but what is the easiest way for me to drill a new hole for a sling swivel?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts