Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I want a 243, but can't decide which one. Here is the background....I don't need it for any specific purpose. I don't need it for a specific bullet weight. I have calibers that surround it so closely I may never actually hunt with it. BUT, I don't currently have a 243, so I'm going to get one. Here are my choices, all used, all about the same price, and all in like new condition:

-CZ 550
-Remington Seven blued/laminated stock
-Browning X-Bolt micro hunter

As an aside, I already own rifles from all three manufacturers in different calibers. Which would you rather own and why?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I'm kinda looking for a .243 as well...such a sweet caliber...i'm looking at the Browning X-bolt micro hunter as well...looks like a really nice rifle, but I also have my eye on a Browning BLR in .243...

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
older Remington 700, Winchester 70 or Ruger 77
would be my choices

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guys, I want a 243, but can't decide which one. Here is the background....I don't need it for any specific purpose. I don't need it for a specific bullet weight. I have calibers that surround it so closely I may never actually hunt with it. BUT, I don't currently have a 243, so I'm going to get one. Here are my choices, all used, all about the same price, and all in like new condition:

-CZ 550
-Remington Seven blued/laminated stock
-Browning X-Bolt micro hunter

As an aside, I already own rifles from all three manufacturers in different calibers. Which would you rather own and why?
ot would be a toss up for me between the remmie and the browning. I have a little thing for Remington bolt guns and shotguns, I mean they are known for being accurate. I have a browning x bolt medallion in 30-06 and love it, the thing can flat out shoot, shoots one hole groups at 100yds with my handloads. which would make me somewhat lean towards the browning, but its probably the most expensive of the bunch. I liked the x bolt because I like the styling of it, and to this day I still think atleast in my opinion the best handling gun and it just fits me!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Have two X Bolts, a 7mm-08 Micro blue/walnut, and 7mm WSM in walnut/ stainless full size, both are excellent rifles. The X actions and stock configurations are completely modern. The Remington is more a modern classic. The X Bolt and Rem are both push feeds. Really like the old school classic claw action mausers like the CZ, the metal work is fantastic in comparison to an X bolt, and there are the old Mark X Mausers, Zastavas, BSA and Parker Hales, etc, than can be picked up for good prices, so I would go with the CZ. Being primarily a lever guy, would personally go with a Savage 99 243, it also has a lot of beautiful hand done machine work, all the 300 & 308 99s here shoot 1 1/2 inch groups or better. The Remingtons hold there value well. Somebody looking for a true claw mauser should consider the new Winchester Model 70, have one in 25-06, and it is very smooth, very well made.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Of those three I think the cz is the better rifle and it is not even close.

I have always had a hankering for an nice old winchester featherweight in 243. The above reccomendation for a Savage 99 is a good one. Also a BLR would be really nice too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I really want a CZ but I want to get a classic European caliber in one. Something suiting a Mauser action. I think the .243 deserves a short and handy rifle...I think the Model 7 fits perfectly. Don't guess you can go wrong with any of them.

Also agree with previous post that the CZ is very nice. You can't go wrong!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Of the 3 you mentioned I would choose the Browning. I too would like another 243, they are just fun to shoot. As far as hunting they have their down falls. I have harvested quiet a few deer with a 243. My problem and many others I know that shoot the 243 for deer hunting is having to reframe from angle shots. Shot placement is very important. Where we hunt is in swamps with standing water. Unless you get a pass thru shot that sprays blood on trees you might loose a deer. This can be said for almost any small caliber round. Maybe I'm just paranoid. My purchase of another 243 would be a nightmare. To many good choices to decide on. Maybe a BLR 81, SS LAM. Ruger NO.1, SS Thompson Encore oh lordy just to many to decide.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it looks like it's pretty every split between the CZ and the x-bolt. I've been leaning toward the CZ because it exudes quality workmanship and materials in a way that the remington and browning to not. It's also kind of heavy and could be used as a light varmint rifle. I don't like that it's built on a long action.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My choice is a Remington 700 BDL. Take care of it and you will not lose money on it. Can be bought new for around five hundred dollars. I love mine...

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: cgcollins

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a CZ 550 FS in .243. Nice gun, I would buy it again. It does have more bark than you would expect since the barrel is kind of short but it is a very nice gun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not one of the choices, but an older Sako L579 in .243 is an excellent rifle. I do have a .243 that I have been very impressed with, it's a CVA Apex with a Bergara barrel. Of the three choices mentioned, my vote would be cast for the CZ.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
CZ web sight claims the 557 in 243 is a short action, nice looking rifle. I keep a couple Zastavas (Yugo claw bolt mausers) mini mausers (22 Hornet & 7.62X39) on the job for the folks to use on varmit/deer control. Very nice rifles, not as pricey as the CZs, not as finely finished, but very close. One of my buds hunts a CZ 22 Hornet, and when we hunt together, me with my Zastava, got to admit, his CZ rifle with the set double triggers is the heat.

Reactions: cgcollins

·
Registered
216 Posts
Budget - Savage 16 weather warrior with a Leupold Vx-1 or Burris Fullfield, about $800 total. Accutrigger, Accustock ( free floated and stiffened ) stainless metals and polymer stock. A take anywhere in any weather gun.

Mid priced - CZ makes dang fine rifles.

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in wood and blue

1 - 20 of 56 Posts