Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I inherited a .22 magazine fed Marlin. All it says is "The Marlin Firearms Corporation - New Haven, Conn. USA - Patented" on the top of the barrel, no model number or anything otherwise, except for "22 Long Rifle Only - Smokeless Greased" on the barrel's left side. It seems to be closed bolt (I have not fired it). I found a website with pictures of a Marlin A1 and I thought it resembled it, but the lack of model number and serial number has me wondering. Here are pictures:

I was hoping someone could help me identify it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Well, it's a golden oldie for sure. Hope the bore is as good looking as the outside. Serials weren't required on .22s before '68 GCA, makes dating those oldies fun. I don't have Brophy handy, but it sure looks like an A1. But a lot of that era's semi-auto .22s look a lot alike. There's been a number of posts from A1 owners and shooters in the past on the forum here, if you'd care to search.

One key to how old it is is that stamping about "Smokeless-Greased", means that it was made at the tail end of the BP/semi-smokeless ammo era and some of the smokeless ammo wasn't greased, had a light wax coating. Leaded like crazy, too.

The A1 was a short-run gun, not many made and fairly rare now. Like a lot of .22RF guns of the era, most were stuck behind a door in the barn and suffered several decades of abuse before being chucked. A .22 was a tool or a kid's toy and didn't get a lot of respect. One in as good a shape as that looks to be has a respectable collector value.

If you haven't done it, it could probably stand a detail strip and cleaning, there've been guys here that have done it and lived to tell us about it...

Let us know how it shoots.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

It is a A1 made in 1936, in late 1936-1937, there was not any grooves on the sides of the stock. Here is a page from the 1936 catalog.
Possible late 1935,early 1936 Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Line late 1936-1937 Gun Line Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Left click to enlarge, right click to save.

And here is the Model 50 1935 Gun Rifle Trigger Firearm Air gun

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hi cdart! Welcome the MO Forum! Schtoolee has ya covered on your A1 I see, great, now give her a cleaning and shoot it. Let us know how ya like it. Enjoy the Forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts