Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1980, my Dad bought me a new Marlin shotgun for Christmas. It was/is my favorite gun, and was stolen in 1991. I was a kid when I owned it and never paid attention to the model number or any other identifying information. I would appreciate if someone could help me locate this gun.

Here is all of the information I can remember about the gun:

New at purchase in 1980
Marlin .410 Gauge
double barrel, side by side
*Single trigger (did not have 2 triggers)
black barrel and receiver
walnut stock

Since Marlin shotguns are not so common, I hope you might be able to identify this gun and would appreciate it if you can tell me the model number. If you need more information, please reply to this post and ask me.

Thanks a lot for helping out if you can.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Are you sure it was a Marlin? I don't believe Marlin ever made a side by side, nor H&R (who Marlin acquired in 2000). The H&R SxS was made by Rossi, and these had double triggers (model 404 or 404C with checkering). It doesn't appear that LC Smith had a .410 SxS "new" in that era either. The Marlin catalogs of that era show only bolt or pump action shotguns made by Marlin. They re-introduced the lever action .410 in 2004. good luck in your quest -would you have any old Christmas or hunting pictures that show the gun?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Maybe it was a Mossberg? Not doubting the OP but that was a log time ago. Mossberg used to offer SxS shotguns but I never saw one in 410.

Reactions: Bluewing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked with my Dad, and he remembered buying the shotgun at a retail gun store in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1980 or '81, cant remember which year for sure. Sorry, I don't have any photos from that far back.

Now you guys have me doubting my memory..... I cleaned that gun every time I came back from a quail hunt, and I can still see ''Marlin'' on the barrel. Could it have been a special edition for Christmas or something? With my luck the gun is probably some special edition worth so much I won't be able to replace it.....

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
The 410 aspect is also the kicker. But the problem there is the total different models of any s by side shotgun,, with American label or manufacture over the years can be counted on probably less fingers than we have on both hands.

There were a few "modern" L C Smiths made in the mid 70s, but I dont think they ever made them in 410. Other than a Savage, I cant think of any other later made 410s and the Savages are scarce.

I did see a Marlin marked 20 some time back, that obviously wasnt from that batch made in the 70s, but neither was it vintage manufacture either. It looked more similar to the balkan made guns of late. I suspected at the time, it simply may have been a ripoff trade mark infringement deal.

40 year old memories, are often something we shouldnt bet the farm over.

I actually replaced a hammer screw on a vintage 410 S S for a buddy last week. "American gun company" or some such hardware store brand. But an actual side lock, but with coil springs. But we discussed then, as too how rare a 410 S S is of any make, especially American.

Only vintage 410 I can think of offhand, other than the few high end guns, might be the Iver Johnson "skeeter" model. And that too, is going by aging memories.:vollkommenauf:

·
Super Moderator
2,341 Posts
Stoeger made/still makes a 410 SxS , not sure when they started but I had one for my kids back in the 90's. Heavy little thing and fixed full chokes. Ended up selling it. I'm not aware of Marlin ever making any SxS shotguns, sure would be interesting news if they did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts