Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I am new to Marlins. The only one I have is an 1893 in 32-40 B grade ( man. 1906)

I come from a CAS background and have been shooting the real powder (BP) for all but the first year. (BP+Pb=happiness)

I have rebuilt a Swedish Rolling Block action in 45-70, I have an original Springfield cadet rifle in 45-70, I am building a couple of Marlin Ballard 1875 target rifles and one of the calibers I am thinking of is 45-70.

So tell me why I should get a lever action in 45-70?

Help me convince myself.

I love the older guns. The 1895 cowboy appeals to me.

I love to hunt, deer, possums, bunnies, wild goat and wild boar.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, by all means get one. My personal preference is the 1895 with a straight stock. Some folks like the pistol type grip, but not me. You'll be very happy with it, but I would only shoot the new fangled smokeless powder in it. Not that it won't work, but cleaning could be a major pain.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jm951 said:
Yes, by all means get one. My personal preference is the 1895 with a straight stock. Some folks like the pistol type grip, but not me. You'll be very happy with it, but I would only shoot the new fangled smokeless powder in it. Not that it won't work, but cleaning could be a major pain.
Cleaning BP is a breeze.

I shoot all my CAS guns with BP

At the end of the shoot I pour boiling water all over the guns,spray them with moose milk (90% water 10% Balistol). I then pull the barrels through with a bore snake. Lastly I spray Balistol over them all again.

2 hand guns, 1 shotgun (win 1887), 1 carbine (Rossi 92) all cleaned and shining within 1/2 an hour.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the 1895 Cowboy appeals to just about everyone. The biggest question you have to answer about getting a 45-70 is why not? The versatility is unbelievable and it shoots a really big bullet. What more do you need? :D

I just snapped my finger and you are now convinced...

And really, we all know you're just looking to justify the purchase, not have us convince you. You're already convinced. If you want to blame me when the wife asks, go ahead and tell her I made you. Not the first time I've been the willing scapegoat, won't be the last. ;D

ENJOY!!!!!!! And nice collection of weapons... ;)

And...God Bless the "Holy Black"...don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigdogbuc said:
I think the 1895 Cowboy appeals to just about everyone. The biggest question you have to answer about getting a 45-70 is why not? The versatility is unbelievable and it shoots a really big bullet. What more do you need? :D

I just snapped my finger and you are now convinced...

And really, [size=10pt]we all know you're just looking to justify the purchase, not have us convince you[/size]. You're already convinced. If you want to blame me when the wife asks, go ahead and tell her I made you. Not the first time I've been the willing scapegoat, won't be the last. ;D

ENJOY!!!!!!! And nice collection of weapons... ;)

And...God Bless the "Holy Black"...don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I know I am shallow and obvious.
A marlin 1895 cowboy in 45-70 costs about $2500 NZ ($2000 US) new here. Thats a big outlay for me lately and I have to convince the missus. You have very broad shoulders to be willing to accept the flak.

The "Holy Black" calls very strongly to me. Mike Venterino has been quoted as sayng that "modern propellants are a passing fad" or something similar. I secretly agree with him. Sssssh

Chris

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Mr Merde I can't really convince you as much as words don't get it done...so shoot one and it will persuade you with a nudge in the right direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts