Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! Help me appreciate Marlins, especially the 336

Hello, everyone, from WI. I'm an NRA member, Navy vet and long-time shooting sports enthusiast. I've owned just about every brand of firearm with the exception of Marlin. I love my Ruger and Smith .22LR rifles and decided years ago when I heard about the popularity of the Marlin 60 to find one. I found THREE and everyone I tried jammed without exception after only a few shots. I'm not a fan of tube-feeding guns anyway but was disappointed at my experience with the 60 and never bought one.

Jump to the present: At the pawn shop today, looking for a Winchester 94 in 30-30, found one but passed because it looked rough and was priced at $500. Nearby was a Marlin 336, 30-30, serial number indicating year of manufacture 1979, with a cheap Tasco 4x32 scope. The rifle looked pretty nice, especially compared to the Winny, and other than some "character marks" on the stock appeared to be rust-free and cosmetically and functionally OK. I negotiated down to $250 out the door and put it on layaway. Don't have any ammo for it (the LGS didn't have any 30-30 in stock and not sure if Wally World has it), nor am I familiar with the operation of this gun. For example, how many rounds does it hold -- the pawn shop guy said "4 or 5" but wasn't sure. Also, what kind of accuracy can I expect to get out of it? I'm not bad off-hand, more of a bench shooter and pretty good with my .22's, averaging half- to one-inch groups at 50 to 100 yards. I don't hunt much any more so I just would be target-shooting and plinking. Figured 30-30 ammo is relatively available and cheap compared to other centerfires, but then I might be in for an unpleasant surprise as I rely solely on factory ammo and don't reload.

I will post pics as soon as I pick up the 336, which I expect to do so before long. When I told a buddy of mine about the purchase, he offered me 300 sight unseen, which would net me a $50 profit. He said he's been looking for a 94 or 336 for awhile without much luck. But before I resell, I thought I'd give the 336 a chance to persuade me that the bad experiences I had with the 60's were a fluke. If ammo is not readily available, I likely will dump the gun. Like a car without gas, what good is a gun without bullets?

Thanks for a great forum. I've been reading a lot of the posts as a guest and decided to come aboard.
Cheers!

(By the way, wasn't sure where to post this thread. Perhaps belongs in "new members" forum.)

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
I love the 'real' Marlin levers due to their design and construction. A Marlin is made from several alloy steel forgings for it's key components. The solid top receiver is both stronger and it's accompanying side ejection better accommodates a scope. A Winchester, God bless John Moses Browning (I am a disciple) is overly complicated, and when you drop the lever it is like pulling one's pants down. All your 'junk' is hanging out there for all to see. Lastly, I appreciate that the Marlin design strips merely by removing the lever screw allowing cleaning from the breech or clearing jams in the field. (A TakeDown coin slotted lever screw makes that task even easier) I have several, and the only Winchester levers I've owned were a modern 9422, which was very nice, field stripped easily, flawless, etc. and a M71 which was worth so much more than I was into it for. They went away only when it came down to either them or my Golden 39M and my 45-70 1895. I still have the 39M after 36 years and my 1994 made JM 1895. just my $.03 worth. AC

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Welcome to MO.

A word on the Model 60, it is the most prolific semi-auto .22LR on the planet for a reason. :) I've fired a bunch of them, or the abundant variants and the only ones I've encountered that jammed were either broken or in dire need of a thorough cleaning, usually the latter. But even those are the exception. The overwhelming majority of them will just chew through ammo and do so with remarkable accuracy.

You've come to the right place for all things Marlin. Click the lines in my signature for a treasure trove of information and abuse the forum search function.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The marlin 336, and it's variants, just feel like a hunting rifle. There's no better way to explain it.. It shoulders perfectly, points naturally, and cycles like a dream. At least to me, most other rifles feel cumbersome, slow, and lacking. The 336 is light recoil, relatively cheap to shoot, and perfect for most backyard "ranges". There's few rifles outside of full auto that even come clod to matching the beauty of cranking that lever for rapid shots.. If it's not love at fist shot, the worst you can do is pocket that 50 or more if you're a little patient.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome from Texas. About the only way I know to sell you on Marlin 336 is that it simply just works. For $250 there is no way to go wrong unless it has been abused and should be used for a boat anchor.

I have both Marlin and Winny .30-30s. My Marlin is by far the better rifle. Don't get me wrong, I love my Win94 ( it was my grandfathers and I have had much success hunting with it). But day in, day out, I grab my Marlin when I head out to my lease.

Again, it just works.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
What year was the Winnie? If its older than 1963, jump on it, in that state its still worth more than the 336.
If its newer, then let it lay.
Im paid $600 for my 1949 Winnie 94, and had to sand blast the rust off and paint it.

BTW a Winchester 94 is chambered in 30WCF, and a Marlin is in 30-30 Marlin.
They didnt label Winnies 30-30 until after they cheapened them up.

$50 buck profit aint squat compared to the price rise in Marlin levers due to commie gun laws, Marlin not making them any more, and everyone buying everyone they can find.
I'd not sell it for less than $500
But then I would not sell it:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!! There is nothing I can add to what already has been said!!! Enjoy that new/used rifle!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, everybody's got an opinion. I dearly love my 1976 JM Marlin 1895 45-70, but when it comes to a 30-30, I grab my 1957 model 94 every time. I just like the way it feels both carrying and shooting. It just "fits" me better than a 336.

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
Welcome from Micanopy Florida. I don't need to tell you to do anything but shoot the rifle and then you will know you made a good buy. After you are hooked start looking for the finest 22 on the planet. It is tube fed and will eat short,long,Long rifle, just feed it. It is called a Marlin 39 lever action.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Welcome aboard! This is a truly great forum.

The 336 .30-.30 will hold 6 in the magazine. I just shot 1/2" group @ 50 yds with a 4X Leupold scope and LeveRevolution ammo. Mine is a restored '71 Texan (straight stock) that I picked up 6 weeks ago. Some members report 1"-1 1/2" groups with less expensive ammo @ 100 yds. in their 336. Reasonably "cheap" ammo + accuracy. What's not to like?

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Everything that evrybody else has already said. You can't go wrong with the 336, and for that price, I'd say you did well. Cngrats!:congrats::tee:And yes we'd like to see a pic. when you get her home.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Administrator
30,589 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners. I believe if you give your 336 a chance you'll learn to love and respect it.

To answer how many rounds it holds, well, what model is it? 20 or 24 inch barrel? If it has a full magazine then it is a 20 inch barrel and they hold 6 in the mag and one in the chamber. 24 inch barrels hold 5 + 1. Accuracy depends on whether you plan to use irons, peep or scope. With peeps, before my eyes got too tired, I could shoot 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups at 100YDS. With a scope 1 inch or less at 100YDS. If you lighten up the trigger you'll find you can tighten up your groups.

Available ammunition is tough at present. MFG are making their runs and then you'll see it more readily again. Even though I reload, I know what my manufacturers factory ammunition mine prefers so when ammunition becomes available I usually purchase a case. I shoot a lot though.

Have fun with her and when you pick her up post some pictures and range report.

Jack

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well, for starters you can mount a scope on it in a useful manner. It's cheap to feed. It doesn't hurt to shoot it. It doesn't feel like the rifle is coming apart when you work the lever. It has real walnut stocks. I don't see any downside....enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
17,792 Posts
Welcome From Alabama... My First Longgun 40 Some Years Ago Was Marlin 336 In 30-30. When I Decided I "Needed" Another 30-30 I Didn't Look At Anything BUT Another Marlin. I Love it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When you get your Marlin, go to You Tube and learn to dissasemble it, clean it real well and put it back together. Not only 30-30's are difficult to find but many other calibers as well. The JM Marlins are for the most part tough as nails and beautiful to boot. The 30-30 caliber is a modest one but it will cleanly take most medium sized game in the US at sensible distances. A word of warning, watch out for the dreaded Marlinitis!! It has no known cure and the only treatment is the continuous acquisition of more Marlin rifles!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Best thing I ever did was sell my boat anchor Win 94 Trapper 30-30 and buy a 308MX. I miss the Winnie---NEVER! Real lever rifles have side eject and a solid forged receiver.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.