Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I need HELP. I got my federal refund check the other day and like an idiot, immediately went out pawn-shopping. I walk in the third place, and the conversation goes like this:
Clerk: Hey, we got a Marlin in, wanna see it?
Me: No, put that away, I'm looking for a pistol.....
Clerk: It's a 30-30, something you don't have yet!
Me: No, put it away, I'm not here to look at Marlins........
Clerk: You could always rebarrel it to 7-30 or do that AI conversion you're always talking about......
Me: Nononono, put it aw......., here, lemme see it........ohcrap herewegoagain....

You can guess the rest. The price is low, the gun is plain but not abused, and it's been calling me ever since, in that sorrowful little voice that says it's cold and lonely in that yucky old pawnshop. It just needs a good home, and someone to love it. Lordy, somebody talk me out of this gun! I need another Marlin like I need another nose, but it won't leave me alone.

What I really need is a lobotomy! :shock:

You know how this is gonna turn out, dontcha?

Papajohn the Pathetic Junkie

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks like you will have to face this alone, my friend. But be brave and do what you have to do and rescue that poor old Marlin from that awful place.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What sort of handgun do you want? Sometimes it helps to distract oneself. :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
PapaJohn, how much is the pawn shop asking, and what year was the 336 mfg'd??

Everyone needs a good Marlin 336 .30-30 in the safe/house.

L.W.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Paaaaaapaaaa Johhhhhhhnnnnn,
Yep I hear it callin you :lol: better get back there before someone else hears it. Once you shoot it, you wont even want to convert it to anything else. Then you will be looking for another to convert. I shot a deer with my Dad's 30-30 this year. I really wish he was still here to shoot his own rifle. There was somthing about that. My son and I with Dad's rifle and a 30-30 to boot. Now get back there and get that rifle :wink:

PS. let us know how it shoots!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Don't listen to big medicine, he's an enabler. Quickly tell me the location of the Marlin and I'll rescue it for you. Did you say it was an SC or an A, pre-microgroove?
:D

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no big surprise, I bought it yesterday, it comes home with me Monday. 8) This was such a foregone conclusion that I had gone to my bullet store before I even got near the pawnshop, so I already have bullets, brass, and four boxes of factory ammo before I ever got to the gun. I think I was was born pre-enabled, there wasn't even a struggle this time. (Sigh). Poor me, I have a new Marlin to shoot. Boo-hoo!

The gun is a 336RC, serial number is Z72XX, which suggests to me IIRC that it was made in 1980. The wood is plain and uncheckered, dull but not marred in any way, the gun looks like it spent most of the last twenty years in a closet surrounded by flannel and denim. The action is slick and smooth like we all knew it would be, and the gold-plated trigger looks silly but I like it anyway. Sights are stock, I'm thinking a Williams peep will find its way onto the receiver shortly, as the ammo testing begins. The barrel looks like Ballard-type rifling from what I could see in the dingy pawnshop. It's exactly what I thought it was, a nice specimen of a nice rifle.

The best part is that I acted like I wasn't going to buy it, I didn't "need" it, since I already have a the best woods gun on the planet, my 35 Remington. So the owner not only dropped the price twenty bucks, he paid the sales tax for me! That is enough to convince me this was pre-ordained, we were meant to be together, like kismet only louder. :roll:

And there are more adventures to come, I'm still hunting for a 44 pistol and a new upper for my AR-15!

Papajohn the Hoarder

G

·
Papajohn,
this is what you've been trained for...........Make us proud!! Its not a sickness, its an adventure :D
Sounds like a great little levergun...........Enjoy :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts