Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

That is a simply gorgeous rifle. And it's in great shape. I've not seen one like it before.

Is is old or a modern repro? I can't tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Welcome from Idaho! Boy, there are very few 1888 rifles that would look THAT NEW! Congrats!

Reactions: North Idaho Shooter

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
It is indeed a Model 1888, and someone has refinished or restored the gun. Looks like they decided they wanted it color cased too since the 1888 were rust blued, and not color cased. Color case was a rare option on the 1888, but that isn't Marlin work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies fellas. I was just going to post that on further inspection it looks like it has been “coated”, for lack of a better word, with something as only the hammer and lever should be case colored if I have read right. Possible or worth it to have that removed by a gunsmith?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Page 163 and 164 of Brophies book shows a picture on an 1888 prototype that appears to be case hardened!! Before doing anything drastic, I'd have it appraised by an expert! Even if it is not original, I'd leave it as is, it's only original once so redoing again can't change it back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any guesses as to what the rifle is worth in the condition its in, considering it has been restored?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I collect Marlins and don't go for restored guns much, that said the 1888 is scares and I would leave it alone. Some guys like the restored ones ad if the bore is good it could go for $1500-2500 at auction depending on who shows up! A real nice original 44 3K and up depending on how much finish is still on and bright!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome from the East Coast. That's a very purdy rifle.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Welcome aboard from New Hampshire. You sure know how to make an entrance!
Good luck with your beautiful rifle.

Reactions: M1Riflenut
1 - 20 of 39 Posts