Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about .22's but I do know that there is and old style and a new style and one that was in between. How do I tell what style of a model 60 I have? The barrel measures 21" to the reciever and the magazine tube is 1/2" shorter than the barrel. The bolt locks open when the magazine is empty. It has the third screw behind the trigger guard. It also has a cracked stock. Can you guys tell me anything about it? :questionmark:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. From your description, it sounds like a model 60 from the 1985-1990 vintage.
Take the first two numbers of your serial number and subtract it from 2000, that will give you the year of manufacture.

The order of styles, if you go by major changes that occurred:
Old = original with two piece feed throat
New = one piece feed throat, bolt and lifter arm change
Newer = Last shot hold open added, stock reinforcement screw added behind trigger guard
Newer.1 = Magazine length shortened to 15 rounds
Newer.2 = Barrel length shortened to 19"
Latest = Charging handle changed to round design and mounting slot for charging handle in bolt narrowed to .375" from .400"

So, within this list of vintages, yours would be a "Newer" model.
I hope I remember everything that changed since I only have a New, Newer, and a Newer.1 version.
Now that I think about it, there was a change in the ejector on the old style, from a cast in nub on the feed throat, to the wire arm of the lifter spring.
I know that the trigger guard changed from the original design, to the current type sometime around the New version. Someone with more knowledge can chime in with anything that I missed.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You actually have a 22 inch barrel. There is a additional inch or so inside the reciever yet.

I have one in that range from around the 1985 to 1990. Mine was made in 1990. To me they are the most desirable configuratuion of all the 60s. 22 Inch Barrel, Last shot hold open and the 18 round magazine yet.

Put up a picture. Mine did not have a stock at all. I spent the 100.00 and put a Boyds on it. I like the Boyds, it has a feel of a "real" rifle with it. It is kinda heavy but that does not bother me at all..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.