Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help identify a 94 Commemorative model for me? I saw it in a pawn shop today, and looked it over briefly. Now that they're closed until Monday, naturally I'm really interested in it.

Sorry, no pictures, but let me describe what I recall about it. Walnut stock, bronze medallion in the buttstock, checkering on buttstock and forend. Receiver had some engraving on it, and looked to be sort of case colored. Loading gate was brass finished, there was a saddle ring, possibly brass, but I'm not sure. Barrel and barrel band were both deep blued. And yes, barrel band, not forend cap.

Can't remember what was on the medallion or what was engraved on the receiver. The owner of the store said it was made in the 80's. Can't remember if he said 1984, 1983, or what the exact year was.

Yeah, I can go back Monday AM, but if anyone thinks they know what it is, I'd appreciate it. Thinking seriously of going back to buy it.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
All I can say for sure without a picture is.
Its not a cowboy:biggrin:
Copyof100_99441.jpg
You know the caliber?
Most are 30-30s but the cal would be a dead giveaway on a few of em.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mystery over. :(

Actually: :)

I went back today and put a deposit on it. Turns out it's not a commemorative at all, but a 1984 Dodge Marksman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Chrysler gave them out as awards to salesmen for hitting sales goals.

This particular one looks as though it maybe unfired. No box or paperwork, though. Very sharp looking rifle. Really smooth action. Nice walnut stock with checkering. Loading gate is brass plated. Receiver is case colored with some engraving on it. Brass saddle ring, and bronze medallion in buttstock with a Dodge Ram in center, with Dodge Marksman 1984 around the outside.

No pics, as it's still on layaway. Looking forward to liberating it, though!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Mystery over. :(

Actually: :)

I went back today and put a deposit on it. Turns out it's not a commemorative at all, but a 1984 Dodge Marksman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Chrysler gave them out as awards to salesmen for hitting sales goals.

This particular one looks as though it maybe unfired. No box or paperwork, though. Very sharp looking rifle. Really smooth action. Nice walnut stock with checkering. Loading gate is brass plated. Receiver is case colored with some engraving on it. Brass saddle ring, and bronze medallion in buttstock with a Dodge Ram in center, with Dodge Marksman 1984 around the outside.

No pics, as it's still on layaway. Looking forward to liberating it, though!
I had that exact model until a few years ago, and now it resides in my son's safe. The rifle I had was basically a "Winchester Antique" model with the medallion stuck in the butt stock. The reason it resides with my son, is that that particular rifle would group less than inch at 100 yds. with plain old Federal 150 gr. soft points. I had mounted a Weaver extended side mount and put a old Weaver 2.5x scope on it. It worked and worked well.

When the Marksman editions were made for Dodge, they used some different models and just inset the medallion in the butt stock, hence, not all of them are the same. There are some less fancy and some more fancy. I think Winchester was just glad to sell some rifles in those days. I hope yours shoots as good as mine.......er,......my sons does.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Pete, I believe you're right. The one I'm getting is a 94 antique with a medallion

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot it, or not?

So... as far as I could tell in the store, the 1984 Dodge Marksman is unfired. I couldn't see any signs on it that it has ever been used. I wonder if I should shoot it, or just keep it?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
to paraphrase a saying, "a rifle you don't shoot is just a club" I had a grade 1 1894-1994 one of 12,000 that was unfired. gift from my wife. kept it for years in a safe. scared to death it would get scratched. finally took it to this last gun show in Bonners Ferry and put it on my table. traded it for a 99f savage 284 win. probably should have shot it first. depending on if you paid collector price for it or not I'd shoot it. there is an azz for every seat so there may be a Dodge fanatic that would pay premium for it but I tend to think it might be a small market.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
i picked up one a while back, has case colored receiver, no engraving ,no checkering ,just plain don't know what model it is ,like new .

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to paraphrase a saying, "a rifle you don't shoot is just a club" I had a grade 1 1894-1994 one of 12,000 that was unfired. gift from my wife. kept it for years in a safe. scared to death it would get scratched. finally took it to this last gun show in Bonners Ferry and put it on my table. traded it for a 99f savage 284 win. probably should have shot it first. depending on if you paid collector price for it or not I'd shoot it. there is an azz for every seat so there may be a Dodge fanatic that would pay premium for it but I tend to think it might be a small market.
I don't think this is a collectible. On GB, they seem to go for about $650, with or without the box and paperwork.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts