Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many types/versions of bolts there are for the model 80 and the various Marlin deriavations and store brand models of the Mod 80. I bought a bolt for my 80 and it didn't fit. I purchased another one that did fit. The one that didn't fit has a one piece "wrap around" extractor that clips in place. Mine has individual extractors on each side of the front bolt section. I've seen new and old style used in terminology for the bolts. Which is which and are there just the two types. I want to be able to descibe it correctly. Here's a picture below. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Offer it up for trade, until you have 25 posts you can not sell, you can buy or trade until then.

Looks like my model 80s bolt. It is a pain to get the wrong thing. Kind of like buying parts for my 95 Blazer there is always at least two different kinds.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Swany
I'm a newbie obviously and was pretty sure I could post anything for sale so close to signing up. I am on a couple of other sites where I can selland just need to know how to describe the item. Hopefully to keep them from making the same error . Apparently there are at least two styles of bolts. Numrich never has the bolts in stock, but the drawings show at least two different ones, however, it's diffficult to figure out what's what. I might look into trading if I can't sell, but the wife is on me for making two purchases and I'd like to get some of my money back.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
puma guy said:
Can anyone tell me how many types/versions of bolts there are for the model 80 and the various Marlin deriavations and store brand models of the Mod 80. I bought a bolt for my 80 and it didn't fit. I purchased another one that did fit. The one that didn't fit has a one piece "wrap around" extractor that clips in place. Mine has individual extractors on each side of the front bolt section. I've seen new and old style used in terminology for the bolts. Which is which and are there just the two types. I want to be able to descibe it correctly. Here's a picture below. Thanks for any help.

Still trying to figure out which is the old style and which is new style??? Anybody? ::)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but I will let you know what I have learned from restoring mine and finding two for my boys.

The ones with the two piece spring loaded extractors are the earlier ones. We only have one like that. It is in a cut rifled bore, pre-microgroove. We also have two that have the one piece spring steel extractor, and they are also cut rifling. The one that we have that is microgroove is also the one piece. Even within the ones that have the one piece extractor, the width of the cocking notch is different. Two are roughly 1/4" wide while two others are much slimmmer. On my rifle, the notch was wider than the tang that it rotated so unless you cocked it quickly, it hung right on the peak and didn't fall into the notch. I simply soldered on a skinny piece of steel as a shim and now it snaps over the hump easily with any cocking speed. This was before we had one with the narrower notch so I didn't know any different, but it worked out just fine. I can't tell you the years or anything, just point out some differences I have seen on ours.

Steve

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modhydro said:
I'm by no means an expert, but I will let you know what I have learned from restoring mine and finding two for my boys.

The ones with the two piece spring loaded extractors are the earlier ones. We only have one like that. It is in a cut rifled bore, pre-microgroove. We also have two that have the one piece spring steel extractor, and they are also cut rifling. The one that we have that is microgroove is also the one piece. Even within the ones that have the one piece extractor, the width of the cocking notch is different. Two are roughly 1/4" wide while two others are much slimmmer. On my rifle, the notch was wider than the tang that it rotated so unless you cocked it quickly, it hung right on the peak and didn't fall into the notch. I simply soldered on a skinny piece of steel as a shim and now it snaps over the hump easily with any cocking speed. This was before we had one with the narrower notch so I didn't know any different, but it worked out just fine. I can't tell you the years or anything, just point out some differences I have seen on ours.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I sorta though the one piece wrap around was the later version, but good to know for sure. Also it's interesting that the cocking notch varies. I know Marlin produced this rifle in several designations for brand name sellers as well their own Marlin-Glenfield name in clip and tube magazine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts