Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sanded down my stock and refinished it with tung oil for the first time. But I ran into a small problem, the butt plate is a little wider then the stock. I was wondering if anyone out there has ran into this in the past, and what did you do to fit it? I will post before and after photos when it's all done in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sand paper attached to a.block.with plate on stock. Work the edges down till it is.smooth with the wood.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would just sand it in with 220, then 320, #0000 wool and refinish wood. Filled pores and done. Gtek

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Realize that here, patience is a virtue! I'd put blue painter masking tape on the stock and start with a sanding block with 220 grit and go slowly! If the tape starts to show sanding marks, then stop, take a deep breath and take off the old tape and put on a new layer. Gradually work down to 400 and then 600 and use wet/dry sandpaper. When you're satisfied with the fit, then take off the buttplate and finish the edges with 1200 grit wet/dry paper and mineral oil. Remember to go VERY slowly and you'll be fine! Let us see finished pics! Welcome to MO! John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts