Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads, looking to see if some owners of a 717M2 or anyone else knows the stats on this gun! In paticular it bolt mass & spring weight and then there is it's hammer spring weight and the radius of the bolts 1/4 circular hammer cocking cam.

I can see that the action on the 717 is taller for longer but it's impossable to to tell what's happing from a single external photograph.

Even a schematic of the guns working parts would be of help.
Email my user name at hotmail or gmail if ye want.
Regards Ivan

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Apparently not. I had to look that model up since it's not familiar. Looks like a very short run gun, had a lot of problems with bad ammo, stock splits due to case separations and a not-so-hot sales history. According to the one article, it's a development of the 795 with a beefed up receiver. Another article said that Eley made ammo for Remington, then had so much trouble with it that they got out of the business. The original .17 Mach 2 idea was that existing .22 LR rifle designs could be rebarreled and shoot the .17 Mach 2, which could NOT be done with the .17 HMR. I haven't seen any ammo for it for quite a number of years, but that's not saying much since I've seen little rimfire anything since Big O got in.

I think this is going to be another 5mm Remington Magnum Rimfire. The semi-autos in particular had a hard time of it, Remington recalled all of theirs and Ruger quit making the 10/22-based one as well as the convertible single-actions. FWIW, the .17 Mach 2 has been crickets in the gun rags since the introduction of the first guns. Not usually a good sign. Lots of .17 HMR articles, though.

Hope you weren't planning anything extensive/expensive for it, ammo might not be available. The few online sites I looked at had none available. You might be able to use the Marlin 795 information for whatever purpose you need it for.

Stan S.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I owned one for a couple years and I even installed a KAT trigger on it. I liked it alot until I got into some bad ammo.
I had a cartridge rupture and the resulting fireworks turned me off. I do not recall if the bolt was unique but the action was the same as the model 795 except for a heavy duty buffer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts