Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Collectors forum last night and someone thought I might get more responses if posted here as well.

I happened upon a Marlin 97 with a 20" octagon barrel, 16" mag tube, pistol grip checkered stock with rifle buttplate (metal) today. The rifle is in excellent condition. The bore is excellent. No pitting at all. Serial number is 390,xxx (don't have it in front of me). No cracks in the stock or forearm - both checkered. I don't believe the stock or forearm has been refinished. Case color is very strong. Bluing is pretty good as well - not very helpful but the pictures will help later tonight. Has a blade front sight. The Marlin book doesn't mention a 20" barrel at all for the 97s - just mention of the bicycle rifle with a 16" barrel and 16" mag tube. Could this have been a special order as it had the checkered pistol grip stock? I really like the rifle and it would be a fine addition to my collection but want to make sure it is correct. Any information/speculation would be appreciated as well as a value.
97 1.JPG 97 2.JPG 97 3.JPG 97 4.JPG 97 5.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts