Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this on the 336 forum...
I am the proud new owner of a very old Marlin. I'll spare you the details, let's just say it was a good idea for me to carry some extra cash on my last business trip.
I don't have any pictures yet...but then I wouldn't know how to post them if I did.
My new toy is as follows:
Sq bolt - walnut - 30-30
Forward of the front barrel band is stamped: The Marlin Firearms Corporation, New Haven, Conn. USA - Patented-
To the left of the rear sight is stamped: Special Smokeless Steel
On top of the barrel just forward of the receiver: 30-30
The receiver is Case Hardened, not blued. It is not drilled & taped for a scope.
On top of the receiver is stamped: Marlin Safety
Behind the hammer is stamped: Marlin Model 1936
It has a pistol grip with no plastic cap.
Behind the trigger, under the lever is the serial number - a 4 didget number.
There is no hood on the front sight.
It belonged to the father of the guy I got it from.
It is older than I am and is in better shape - some wear and a few dings in the wood but for being around for over 60 years the condition is remarkable.
I only have information to date a Marlin back to 1945 with a letter prefix on the SN. This has no letter prefix, just the four numbers.
When was it made? Any ideas?
Also, my eyes need a scope...should I drill & tap this gun or not?
My wife fell in love with it on first sight (as I did) and wants to go shooting on Saturday. I told her I could get what I paid for it if I decide to get another - she told me I can't sell this one. Cool. Yes, dear.
This is already too long...any help would be great.
btw...what is smokless steel?

:arrow: I have it narowed down to 1936 to 1940.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We'll need a little bit more info to date it more accurately;
Does it have a "bullseye" inletted into the bottom of the buttstock?
Does it have cap on the bottom of the pistol grip?

If there is a "bullseyes" and a cap (indicating a fluted buttstock), then you have a 1sr variation Model 1936 which was only manufactured between 1936 & 1937.

DON'T drill and tap it! It sounds like you have a nice, original Model 1936 and drilling/tapping would detract from the value.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no plastic bullseye or plastic cap on the pistol grip. However....the grain on the wood creates a dark "spot" where I've seen the little bullseye on other Marlins.
The comb (I think it's called) is fluted.
The butt plate is about a quarter inch thick black plastic or hard rubber. It's held on with two slotted screws.
I don't think I will mount a scope on this one. Gives me a reason to get another.
I have to say, I was going to think twice about getting it if it wasn't drilled & tapped for a scope - but when I held it...that was the end of that thought...I'll take it...now...here's the cash...see ya.
Looking forward to Saturday.
I'm so cranked up...I feel like a little kid...I gotta get some pictures...

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Model 1936 was introduced late in 1936 and was renamed Model 36 sometime in 1937. Personally, I wouldn't drill any holes in it. I don't think the Model 1936 is all that common.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sounds like a first variation 1936 for sure. Mine doesn't have a bullseye or grip cap. It does have the fluted comb. Also, there's no prefix on the serial number. Really nice gun you have there!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The idiot hole above the trade mark is an EXTRA. Shouldn't have any problem identifying a 1936.
Its roll stamped on the tang.

Chug

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You most likely have a first variation, but if you remove the buttstock screw, and look at the hammer spring, it will be flat if it's a first variation, and coil for a second. That's the real determining factor. The "Corporation" rollstamp indicates a early gun also, as those barrels weren't used on later model 1936's!
Either way, don't change a thing on that 1936 Marlin! They are getting very desireable, and any holes will end up as very expensiv additions, when they knock hundreds off the value of your gun!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any ideas on a value for this gun?
There are some nicks and dings on the wood, minor, and some wear on the metal parts. All normal for a gun this age.
Action is very smooth.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd want to see it, or some good pictures, before I made a comment on the value.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I HAVN'T HAD TIME TO TAKE ANY PICTURES...BEEN OUT OF TOWN A LOT...BUT I DID TAKE THE BUTTSTOCK OFF AND IT IS A FLAT SPRING. SO IT SEEMS I HAVE A FIRST VARIATION.ALSO THE SN IS STAMPED INTO THE WOOD.
WERE THE SN PUT ON THE GUNS IN ORDER OF MANUFACTURE?
WAS A GUN WITH SN 1795 MADE PRIOR TO ONE WITH SN 315?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The larger the number the later the production. At least as far as the 1936 and 36 go. Earlier '93 type rifles don't hold true to this, as the numbers were restarted in the post WWI era.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts