Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a very old Marlin. I'll spare you the details, let's just say it was a good idea for me to carry some extra cash on my last business trip.
I don't have any pictures yet...but then I wouldn't know how to post them if I did.
My new toy is as follows:
Sq bolt - walnut - 30-30
Forward of the front barrel band is stamped: The Marlin Firearms Corporation, New Haven, Conn. USA - Patented- :)
To the left of the rear sight is stamped: Special Smokeless Steel :?
On top of the barrel just forward of the receiver: 30-30 :lol:
The receiver is Case Hardened, not blued. It is not drilled & taped for a scope. :(
On top of the receiver is stamped: Marlin Safety
Behind the hammer is stamped: Marlin Model 1936 :lol:
It has a pistol grip with no plastic cap.
Behind the trigger, under the lever is the serial number - a 4 didget number.
There is no hood on the front sight.
It belonged to the father of the guy I got it from.
It is older than I am and is in better shape - some wear and a few dings in the wood but for being around for over 60 years the condition is remarkable.
I only have information to date a Marlin back to 1945 with a letter prefix on the SN. This has no letter prefix, just the four numbers.
When was it made? Any ideas?
Also, my eyes need a scope...should I drill & tap this gun or not?
My wife fell in love with it on first sight (as I did) and wants to go shooting on Saturday. :shock: I told her I could get what I paid for it if I decide to get another - she told me I can't sell this one. :shock: :D :D :D Cool. :p :p Yes, dear. 8)
This is already too long...any help would be great.
btw...what is smokless steel? :(

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Post the to collectors you may get info faster on it.. I have no clue .. we do have Reference Thread you may want to look at it and see what you can come up with.. There are post on Dating a Marlin..

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=495

Welcome to the site,, I am sure you will have many more Marlin's there addictive.. Since it seems the wife has laid claim to that one already. LOL

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excelent...so I have a 1936 to 1940.

Already saving for the next one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Great.. I would not scope it.. but if you bought it for shooter and not a safe queen have a reputable gunsmith do it.. 100 yds on deer is easy with open sites.. lots bigger than 12x12 paper target to hit.. LOL.l.

I don't have safe queens.. I would shoot a limited edition engraved model if I purchased one.. just the way I am..

You can pick up new 336 W hardwood not walnut for under three bills new.. its already drilled and tapped.. I have a w and its awesome rifle.. but I did get a new xlr 336 also.. and scoped it.. so now I have one open sites and one scoped.. and will be hard to make a choice in hunting season .. :lol:

Marlinitus is not curable.. 8)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in the Kenosha, Wi, Gander Mountain just before I stumbled on this 30-30 and they had two XLR's. Realllllyyy Nice!!
I can't remember now but I think they were $430. Maybe...
They also had an old 336 in 35 Rem. for $200. I was tempted...but I was set on a 30-30. Maybe I'll go back. Maybe I should be patient.
I think you are right about the scope. After all, it would cover up Marlin Safety.
I will put studs on it for a sling.
I will have no safe queen. It better get ready for some UP snow next fall.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

I wouldn't alter it in any way (scope, new sights, sling, etc.). It just seems a shame to modify these oldtimers at this point in their history. You apparently can "afford" to buy a more modern configuration gun if you want to hunt with a scope.

I would just learn to shoot the gun the way it is. If I didn't feel confident hunting with the old sights, I would get another Marlin to hunt with.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
the xlr's are going 575 and up . if you saw them for 430 was a steal..

Go back and get some more.. :lol: can't have too many

This is my xlr..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll shoot it as is on Saturday. Maybe the open sights will be fine.
But then I'll have to get the next one a little newer.
Yea, that's it...put the scope on the next one.

I am so geeked about this gun...what a find.
You are right, it would be moraly wrong to put a scope on this gun...but I really would like a sling.
Yea, that's it...no scope on this one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gunjunkie said:
the xlr's are going 575 and up . if you saw them for 430 was a steal..

Go back and get some more.. :lol: can't have too many

quote]

Maybe it was $540 :oops:

I've owned this one for 24 hrs and I already need another one. Damn, I've got it bad.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you have trouble with the iron sights you have the option of a receiver peep or a tang peep and you don't have to drill holes in a good rifle.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would have to drill for a peep sight and don't think I'd like a tang sight...maybe replace the existing sights with some fire sights. They could be changed back anytime.
Took it to the range today and shot some Remington 170gr rounds. Some at 50 yds some at 100 yds. All on the paper, all would kill a deer. Most high. Will have to work on my sight picture...150gr and other makes.
It sure shoots sweet for a 66+ year old gun. Action is smooth. No "Marlin trigger creep" that I have read about. Not a heavy trigger pull either.
This just gets better all the time.
I love this gun.
It's great with the open sights.
Even the screws are not barked up...they look new.
Life is good.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The fire sites are idea.. and so is the rear screw site thats on the w series.. its easy to fine tune..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts