Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting 1894's, 336's, and 1895's for many years, reloading for all of them using jacketed bullets exclusively with good results. I recently acquired an 1894 CB in 32 H&R. I bought some 95 grain LSWC bullets from a reputable manufacturer. The bullets are copper washed. I can't get them to shoot!

My jacketed loads are doing well, averaging 2" or less at 100 yards. With my cast bullets, the best I can get is about 6" with no consistency. I have about 400 rounds through the rifle now, clean it frequently, and use JB Bore Paste after long shooting sessions to really clean things out. The bore seems very smooth.

I have loaded the 95's LSWC's with Hodgdon Titegroup from about 2.5 grains to 4 grains or so. The 4 grain loads are clocking about 1250 fps. I'm not seeing any leading in the barrel.

At 25 yards the cast bullet groups are pretty much a ragged hole, at 50 yards they are usually about 1" but things fall apart after that. The bullets are sized .313 according to the manufacturer.

What tips and tricks can I try to get things to tighten up? It should certainly shoot better than this at 100 yards considering that jacketed bullets are shooting very well. Am I expecting too much?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I don't shoot this caliber, but I know several on this forum that do shoot the 32 of some sort. They will know...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I had similar problems with my 357, and started by increasing the diameter of the bullet shot, (no matter what the bullet manufacturer says). I sure would be trying the .314 or more. Beartooth bullets have superior cast bullets, and Marshall can inform you of the size you should be finding works the best. Those cowboy barrels usually want cast bullets, and so I would guess it is a sizing/lubing issue. I do not know anything about copper washes, other than several have had similar problems to what you report.

G

·
GLC,

I don't shoot that caliber either but some of my guns just don't like some kinds of bullets. I would suggest trying others as Dr. A has said.

Bill

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
A couple of thoughts aside from the good ones already suggested; the charge you are using is small enough that a very small variation is significant, maybe more so with cast than with jacketed. Also, some combinations of components will respond better with other propellants so trying another may help. I would try the original suggestions first as they are more likely causes of problems though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts