Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 336Y and have quickly learned to love it.
With an over all budget of around $300-$500 (for now), what would you/should I do to make my lil .30-30
a more effective/attractive gun?
One that I can be proud to show off but also have the
efficiency to back it up?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
Peep sights or scope?
If peep go skinner got some nicely done sights almost perfect for Marlins.
Pics would help.
Leather work for the stock and sling help a9mmfan here does some really nice work.
That would be all i would do to one.
Got my leather work on mine from a9mmfan
I would have skinner sights but my eyes will not allow me to use them so i got a scope on mine.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! Good suggestions given so far:laugh: John

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I will throw out a props to Levergun Leather Works. I have 4 sets of his work on my guns and it's Top Notch. Really gives them a custom feel and look. He's also one of our venders here on MO. Welcome aboard!!!

Hayden.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Bear, I suppose it depends on what your biggest need is. If it's a scope, it's possible to spend your entire defined budget amount on just glass (but it could be really nice glass) . . . :flute:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
For sheer effectiveness I have found that a good scope is about as good as it gets. Contrary to what some think a scope is as fast as reciever sights if not faster. The main thing is to get a low powered scope like a shotgun scope. Mine is 1.5 X4.5. Another very good option is a Red Dot. I shot a very nice buck at about 15 feet with a very rapid shot using a Red Dot. While I cannot quite bring myself to trust battaries I still think they could be about the best option. I also shot a couple of other deer at longer range with a Red Dot from an old 8mm Mauser before i replaced the bolt with a more scope freindly one.
when mounting a scope you need to take care in getting a good fit such that it is focused when mounted to the shoulder. Most of the complaints about scopes come from those that need to search for focus when it is mounted. May require some stock work depending on your build. I also like the one piece mounts as they permit an excellent adjustment. While I have gotten by with inexpensive glass I do not argue with those that prefer the higher quality scopes. Especially those that may hunt out of state. Stay away from the see through mounts as they are too tall for good focus with a scope and do not permit a good view of the iron. I ahd a tip off mount and replaced it with a standard solid mount. The old adage that you should pay more for the scope than the rifle has some merit.

DEP

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Definitely a good scope and a sling would be my first choices for a hunting gun. All good suggestions here. A reloading tool or tools would also ensure you will always have something to shoot. Welcome and happy shopping!

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Let the Mud slinging begin. First, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

First and foremost, the most effective 30-30 Ammo on Hogs, Dogs, and deer is the 150gr Powermax hollowpoint...Period!

You'll get 2250fps out of that barrel and a BC of .224 with that exact ammo. Every round has perfect expansion, ugly wounds, consistent performance. I personally have never recovered one from a whitetail deer, blew golfball sized exit holes, deer usually DRT. With this bullet, there won't be any wondering "did I hit it?", you'll know on impact.

If you zero that load at 25 yards, you are -5.5 at 200yards. (Sight height 1.5" scope, .5 irons). The MPBR can be extended but plus or minus 1.5" out to around 160 yards suits me.

I'm going to give you two sight options depending on what type of fella you are

Talley Rings and a Leupold Ultralight 2-7x28 (10")or Weaver #S466 bases with Leupold QRW rings with the same scope. This removable combo Returns to Zero every time...Rock solid!
Don't worry, you'll only use the 6-7x in broad daylight so the 28mm is NOT a hinderance. In low light you'll likely be using 4x or less, even at 4x your exit pupil is 7.

For a backup rear sight, look no farther than these links (shortly)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/211355/williams-wdos-dovetail-open-sight-less-blade-aluminum-black

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...peep-sight-ghost-ring-aperture-aluminum-black

I'm bold enough to say nothing in North America out to 200 yards will walk away from this combo.

You asked "most effective", this is maximizing the mighty 16" 30-30

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, thanks for the wonderful advice. I am still deciding between peep sights and a scope. But I like the sound of getting leather work done, but frankly I don't know what that entails! Haha
Thanks again!

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Well, it entails making sure the leather ain't tanned with corrosives since you'll be a leavin it on the firearm to soak up moisture, this way it rust more slowly.

Don't fear the scope but option two lets you have both. You could literally have your scope in your sack and install it in seconds.

I just realized where you are. Do consider the Barnes Bullet.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
All good advice so I'd say pick an option and go with it. It's yours to decide, so whatever makes you happy. Then of course you need to post pictures! Welcome to MO and thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
886 Posts
First, thanks for the wonderful advice. I am still deciding between peep sights and a scope. But I like the sound of getting leather work done, but frankly I don't know what that entails! Haha
Thanks again!
The chemicals used to cure and condition leather will permanently stain any wood that the leather comes in contact with. Your rifle will look good with the leather but it may not look so good when you take the leather off. IMHO

Reactions: Bigsby The Bear

·
Registered
665 Posts
For the money a good trigger job or a Wild West trigger cant be beat. That alone will make you a better shooter. Big loop levers are cool. I am not into the leather thing so I would leave that. Particularly if it will get wet and rust underneath. The 16 inch barrel means you wont likely be shooting at a distance where you need a scope. Besides, you would need a pretty small scope to look good on that gun. A good peep or ghost ring looks pretty cool and will serve you well. I shoot Marlin factory sights much better than Win factory sights but a peep or ghost ring will be much quicker on target. Better yet, get a XS sights rail with a ghost ring and you can take the scope on and off as desired. They look so sweet!
Pb

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO I have decided that I am not going with a scope (for now).
I really really like the idea of a ghost ring set up. And I think that for now that would be what I want to practice with.
Has anyone had experience with this? If so, what brand, size?

Best regards from Beautiful Alaska, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took the youth stock off of my 336Y and put a full sized stock on, effectively making a trapper out of it. It handles very well and gets great comments from the guys at the range. Next up for me would be some skinner sights. I have them on a shorty 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I have been contemplating the leather treatments as well but haven't pulled the trigger on that mod yet. Good luck and post some pix when you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts