Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is everybody? :? It's almost like there's cobwebs on the forum. Kaintuck is off to see his Mom & maybe score a 2nd hand store sleeper, but what about everybody else?

As for me, it's been work. With an exponent! With all the a/c's running pretty much non-stop, demand for coal is off the scale. So much so that I have managed to rat-hole a few dollars for a big gun show in Denver next weekend. I've got a few Marlins on the list, too. A 336 in 32spl would be nice. As would more model 50 22s or a 16ga of any sort. Other stuff on the list is gas checks for 270 & 338 cast bullets. I got custom size kits from Lee for a couple odd calibers & will try resizing bullets for them. I might even cast several if it would ever cool down.

Other than that, for another site, I have been working on a detailed, illustrated post of the various arsenal markings to be found on the stocks of military Steyrs. I have pics of several from my own assortment plus a few others from friends. There is almost nothing in print about these, and I hope to get something started for everyone's reference. Especially my own! :D

So. What's everybody else up to? SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wondered also. Bought a HD Military High Standard and a S&W K22 Masterpc this morning. moodyholler

·
Registered
110 Posts
Castin', patchin', and loadin'. For both 40 and 45 caliber. I've recovered for almost 2 weeks now, so going to go and abuse myself, I mean amuse myself at the range tomorrow. So you might say I'm going to burn a little "coal" myself.

moody....always liked those K22's.....

max

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max,

Them boolets look like some real shoulder thumpers! :shock: I have some casting to do, as well, but it's awful hot for that. And I need to score some tin to harden the wheelweights so I can drive some .330 220 grainers over 2000 fps.

After reading how much Skeeter Skelton liked the K22, I have owned 3 at different times, but traded them for Marlins. Presently, I have a S&W 22 combat masterpiece & it's a keeper!! SW

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've heard that you can also harden cast bullets by dropping them in ice water right out of the mold, but I haven't tried it. Not sure I want water that close to my casting pot, even with a full body asbestos suit and a welder's shield. I get my tin at a industrial metal supply, but I don't use much since I cast so soft. Had a chance a couple of years back to buy 1000 pounds of pure lead for $200, so pretty much set for life on lead. Unless I get in my time machine and go back to hunting buffalo in the 1870's. :roll:

max

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
As some of you know, I've been babysitting the wife after her recent surgery. Well she got the OK from the doc to start driving again, so I am off "house arrest"! Went out fishing all day, and after church tomorrow, I'm going to the range to fire a few rounds!
Been loading and casting for the #1 Rem. Rolling Block in .44 Sharps, so I've got a ton of ammo to put downrange! Hopefully the shoulder will hold up, so I can put some others to work also!
It's been so quiet here I thought I heard an echo when I opened the site yesterday!
Moodyholler, those old K22's are fine guns, and I wouldn't give mine up for anything! I love shooting it, and it's been a part of my arsenal for more years than any other gun I presently own. The High Standards are super well made guns too, and the HD Military was the first gun I used in Bullseye competition. It served me well, but I thought I needed something fancier, so I traded it off for a Supermatic Citation. Never shot any better, but I thought I got points for looks on it! :wink:

·
Registered
579 Posts
A HD was the first pistol I ever shot. I was 6-7 and my Dad let me shoot it single-shot. Must've been about 1971-72. I havew been looking for one for years. He also hunted with a K22 for years. I guess it was a challenge for him. I am now looking for a 25-5 and my S&W stuff will be complete. 1 handguns are enough as I don't have time to exercise them now. Gentleman is supposed to bring me a Marlin marked Ideal tool in 25-20 next week and a box of 32-20 Marlin shells full and unopened. Things have been slow for the most part around here. moodyholler

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Just hanging around and poking my nose in every couple of days to see what's going on in here. It's cooled off a bit around here so maybe I can get out and turn a wrench or two and get some stuff fixed around here.

Willy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Mostly re-building the front end on my van.... anyone price McPherson struts lately? :shock: Not for the faint of heart or wallet! Been pluggin away on my Fr-8 project, and trying to decide on load data- the Lee hand press is lookin pretty good right now. Some of the cast bullet loads in the 2003 Lee manual are very interesting!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Banned
461 Posts
I figured everyone would be at the MFCA meeting and show in Kansas City this weekend. I didn't get to go to it.. again.... someday maybe I'll make it there. So back to work I get to go to... Uugghh.... Just gotta love that nice warm weather! :roll: :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'd have liked to go to KC, but things didn't work out here with the wife recovering. KC is a great show, and with the Mossberg and Hi Standard collectors also meeting there, it would have been even better. Like three for the price of one!
Moodyholler,
We sure seem to have very similar interests! One of my other favorite guns in my safe is my 25-2, with 8 3/8" barrel. Not quite the same as the 25-5, but mine is also a .45 Long Colt version. The 25-2 came in both .45 ACp and LC as you probably knew.
I used the old 25-2 for competitions at our club that didn't involve drawing (for obvious reasons!) and won several matches with it. Love that caliber, and long sighting radius. Seems one guy who often beat me out was a friend shooting an identical 25-2! Hard to beat a good S&W!

·
Registered
579 Posts
MM93, my freind has a 25 NIB from early 1960's and I have begged him for it for years! My Dad is a big S&W fan and complains about COlts all the time. He says if a SA is worth 1500.00 then a Model 14 or 19 ought to be worth 4500.00!!!!!!!! Not to start a contest as each to their own!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am collecting 1 of each model with 6" partridge sight. Still loking for 25-5 and 27 or 28 in same config. Glad you had a good day at the range! moodyholler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts