Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a refugee from cowboy action shooting too stove up now to take part in that sport.

now I am trying to determine the date of mfg for a used marlin recently acquired, today at a gun show. it is a 30-30, a 336 I think, or a 1894 model. how does one tell the difference? yeah dumb question I know. I could go out in the rain storm and look at it in the back of my car but.... before the rain came i got the sn off the rifle. anyway, I had googled and asked a supposedly informed source regarding the question after supplying the sn: 00018422 from the tang, but the answer "no such sn" threw me off.

the gun's action is very stiff and i want to learn how to make the action slick and easy (fast) to operate the lever. the plan is to learn all i can provided in this forum then do the job. i know i could take it to a gunsmith. several years ago i had a cowboy 336 30-30 with 24" octagonal barrel that was professionally slicked up for the NRA silhouette completion that took a year to get back from the gunsmith.

but while that rifle was very accurate-- it shot 2" groups at 200 meters benched, but I could not hold it steady enough to knock down the small metal birds.

anyway, this marlin will be for fun shooting with light loads.

any suggestions on how to learn the rifle's date of mfg?

max morgan

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Max there is a date thread & gunsmithing thread on here,just scrool down.

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
Turbo is right... 00 serial number is 2000. Welcome from Alabama....

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
Oh.... The model of the rifle is stamped in the barrel on the left side. Same line as the caliber.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

The gunsmithing room and/or the 336 room will be able to help you with slicking up the action.

Be sure to use exact fit gunsmithing screwdrivers so as not to bugger up the screws!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
The 336 has a round bolt and the 1894 is square! Hope that helps and also Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

Added -- if it's a 30-30, it's gotta be a 336 -- duh on me:biggrin:

Reactions: kybob

·
Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Welcome from Alaska!!

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey Max,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums from southern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts