·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Zeebz

·
Registered
690 Posts
Welcome from the Eastern seaboard. 336, XLR in 30-30. Yup, that's a good'un.
Lucky you! Have fun!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went on there after you mentioned it and saw it. That one looks to be in great shape! I was firm when I got mine in that I wasn't going to go over $820 for it. I figured I'd easily get outbid and just have to settle for a brand new Remlin rather than a JM. I'm hoping nobody starts bidding on it and you end up getting the rifle you want!
As it turned out, I went to a local LGS and they had a 1977 JM 30-30 that just couldn't pass up. I'll post pics once I have a chance. I also went to my local FFL and they just received 5 Marlin Trump special edition 22's and I had to get one for the hell of it. Looks like I probably won't be bidding on the XLR. I'll get one eventually!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
As it turned out, I went to a local LGS and they had a 1977 JM 30-30 that just couldn't pass up. I'll post pics once I have a chance. I also went to my local FFL and they just received 5 Marlin Trump special edition 22's and I had to get one for the hell of it. Looks like I probably won't be bidding on the XLR. I'll get one eventually!
Yes, please post pics! That's a nice find. How was the finish, wood, and everything on it? My LGS had a JM 336 for $499 I think it was when I was there a week or two ago. I'm not sure what year it was manufactured, but it looked to be in excellent shape.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Welcome from Washington State! I grew up in Michigan and still go back there to deer hunt... around the Cadillac area.

You'll enjoy your XLR. I sure enjoy mine. Pair it with Hornady's LEVERevolution pointed 160 grain gummy tips. Very accurate, powerful, and flat shooting.

Here's mine and a target showing the accuracy of the Hornady ammo at 150 meters (164 yds).

102_2395.JPG IMG_1677.JPG

Happy hunting!!

Reactions: mikom and Zeebz

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, please post pics! That's a nice find. How was the finish, wood, and everything on it? My LGS had a JM 336 for $499 I think it was when I was there a week or two ago. I'm not sure what year it was manufactured, but it looked to be in excellent shape.
I posted pics in the 336 forum.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Welcome from Florida's sunny Gulf Coast. Years ago, the US Air Force stationed me in Michigan. I had very good luck hunting big deer within the Huron Nat'l Forest west of Oscoda. But one year, I rented a canoe and hunted a very remote portion of the Manistee Nat'l Forest. Back in those days, I hunted with an older Remington slide action rifle in 35 caliber. Those wide 200 grain bullets hit hard!

TR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got my 336 XLR yesterday. Overall it looks pretty good. There's a few scratches on the receiver I'll have to buff out, and the gun was dry and the inside was quite dirty when I got it. I should note I hate buying used guns because just like cars, I'm never sure what the owner did beforehand. The place I bought it from said the owner only put 10 rounds through it, but based on how dirty the action was, it seems like it had more than 10 rounds down the pipe. The bore looked great, though. Who knows, the guy could have just shot some really dirty ammo. That said, my FFL who is a good friend and whose opinion I trust said regardless it looks hardly used and in pristine shape for a gun made in 2006. Installed the XS rail and sights on it. I needed to do some filing on the holes in the rail as the fit wasn't perfect, but I got it on and got the ghost ring setup installed.

Also, is there a trick to getting those hammer spur extensions off? The gun came with one installed by the previous owner and I am not a fan of it. I got the little allen screw out of it that slips into the notch, but it won't slide off. I tried giving it a few whacks with my rubber hammer, but it wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got my 336 XLR yesterday. Overall it looks pretty good. There's a few scratches on the receiver I'll have to buff out, and the gun was dry and the inside was quite dirty when I got it. I should note I hate buying used guns because just like cars, I'm never sure what the owner did beforehand. The place I bought it from said the owner only put 10 rounds through it, but based on how dirty the action was, it seems like it had more than 10 rounds down the pipe. The bore looked great, though. Who knows, the guy could have just shot some really dirty ammo. That said, my FFL who is a good friend and whose opinion I trust said regardless it looks hardly used and in pristine shape for a gun made in 2006. Installed the XS rail and sights on it. I needed to do some filing on the holes in the rail as the fit wasn't perfect, but I got it on and got the ghost ring setup installed.

Also, is there a trick to getting those hammer spur extensions off? The gun came with one installed by the previous owner and I am not a fan of it. I got the little allen screw out of it that slips into the notch, but it won't slide off. I tried giving it a few whacks with my rubber hammer, but it wouldn't budge.
Sorry it wasn't 100% what was advertised, that sucks. Hopefully it will clean up easily and function like it should. I always take the round counts with a grain of salt. Could still be correct in this case, though. If the original owner shot it when he got it back in 2006, didn't clean it, and let it sit like that this long, makes sense it would be dry and dirty. I'm still jealous! The hammer spur probably has some residue keeping it stuck on. Put a little CLP in there and let it sit. Then try rocking it gently and tapping lightly it with a small synthetic mallet. If it were mine I'd maybe, maybe try heating the spur. That can be a tricky thing because you don't want to heat the hammer.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts