Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I am proud owner of a new x7 .308 bolt action. I am very excited to start going to the range and then going hunting for deer and boar. I for the scope i want a nikon prostaff. but not sure what rings to get, Medium or high??? I was raised using iron sights but never a scope and i am so lost. Any suggestions?? thanks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! Personally, I think you'll get a better cheek weld (and thus more consistent sight picture) with the lower rings! Just my 2 cents. John

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Leupold and Weaver should have on line, a chart listing the recommended ring height based on the diameter of your scopes objective lense, for your particular rifle. As a rule, you don't want to go lower than recommended, but can go higher. If else fails, you can call them direct. Basic weaver rings are inexpensive, and work well, you could consider ordering a set of low, medium and highs to place on a weaver base (also inexpensive)...at some point you will use them all on some rifle. Leupold offers weaver mount copies at inexpensive prices as well. Leupold and others also offer more expensive options. Myself I prefer Dead Nutz mounts these days, but do have Weaver, Leupold and Burris in service, with no complaints.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Generally you want the lowest rings that will allow the bell of the objective lens (front) to clear the barrel or the front sight.

This keeps the line of sight axis closer to the axis of the bore and requires less convergence of the two axes. (More of an issue for shooting accurately at close distances.) It is also a theoretically more stable configuration.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everybody for all the advice and welcoming. i am using a 3-9x40 nikkon prostaff. my rifle came with a weaver style base.. thanks agian

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Willy,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Nikon Pro staff is a nice scope. If you like using the iron sights yet want to have a scope mounted then I think I would look into the tip off mount. That way you can have the best of both. Just my thoughts on the matter. Best of Luck !!!

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
Welcome to a great place.

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your new rifle...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts