Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hello from Wisconsin! New here.

2K views 38 replies 37 participants last post by  cajun56 
#1 ·
I am new to your forum and still figuring out how to navigate. I live in Northern Wisconsin. I have a 44 rem mag marlin ( which i got my first deer with many years ago) and a 45-70 GG I just received as a gift from Dad. I am really excited about my new guide gun 45-70. I am interested in using it for hunting here and possibly some out of state or Canada trip if I can swing it. I am interested in different store bought ammo loads effective in two levels. One for deer and black bear and One for a buffalo/ moose if I were ever to get the chance. I have looked into buffalo bore ammo for the higher power and bought some of federal fusion ammo just because that was what they had at the store. Haven't sighted in yet due to Wisconsin weather but had to go out and put a few rounds through it to see how she goes. It was great. I plan on using the open sights on my GG. ghost site? Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
Hey West,

Welcome to MO.

Any 300gr HP will do on venison. (almost too good, wait until you bag one)

Garret, Buffalo Bore and others make premium 45/70 ammo. A good cast bullet at 1500 to 1600fps will floor a bear/moose/elk.........

If you take up reloading (and 45/70 is an "easy one"), your "cost" will drop from $2@ to about thirty cents@! (you won't save any money, but you will shoot a whole lot more) LOL

The Remington 405gr bullet does well on venison and black bear....on venison, you will want the "high shoulder" shot, as opposed to the "heart shot". Usually takes out the spine.

Later, Mark

#10 ·
First I want to say welcome! You have a winner in the 300 grain fusions I believe the bullet is the 300 gr Speer plinker which is bonded and a tough bullet. I have killed about 8 deer with it and it works well and doesn't destroy meat has bad has deeper hollow points.
I never have used the 405's for hunting because I still have a stash of 300 gr Nosler Partitions that work awesome on bear and I would use them for elk\moose too.
But if you aren't shooting over 125 yds Rem factory 405 is easy on the shoulder and hard on game. Or 405 gr at 1650 fps which I believe is out there will most likely get you 50 more yards of easy trajectory and more recoil;D Don't be afraid of a good weight Cast flatpoint either for larger game.
I know its not for everyone but the 45/70 is a reloaders dream. You can tailor loads to Your tasks and hunting area/game for a great benefit both in cost and performance Consider it!

#13 ·
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

#16 ·
Welcome to the forum, from Western,Pa.

Reactions: Downbeach
#17 ·
Welcome from NE Indiana.
We will be up in your state in March for a wedding. Last time we were there we stopped at a Knights of Columbus to ask for directions to a Catholic Church. They could not give them to us.:questionmark: We always remind our Cheesehead branch of the family of that incedent whenever we see them.

One of the keys to loading pics on this site at least for me is patience. First I locate the pic on my computer and write the location down. When I click the upload pic button I sit back and wait.

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum. The 45/70 is a great gun in any configuration. I have used Fusion in other calibers and like them. I tend to favor the 405 gr bullets for the 45/70 though. I like the Rem 405 pushed at around 1550 but will switch to hard cast when I run out of them. That is just me. lots of folks use the 300 and 350 gr bullets and have great success.

#22 ·
Welcome aboard! Congrats on your new rifle too... enjoy!

#23 ·
Hello from a former Green Bay resident. Joel Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.