Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all!
My name is Peter, and I live in small city in Slovakia.

I love big game such as wild boar, red deer, fallow deer, roe deer. of course, there are other kinds of animal, like mouflon, brown bear, wolf, chamois,.. but they live out of our hunting territory. small game: fox, rabbit, raccoon, badger, pheasant, duck...
The most hunted animal in our hunting area is wild boar, which is usualy hunted on collective hunt, using many dogs and a large number of hunters. boars are usualy located in bush, so I need to shoot quickly and fast repeat if it is necessary. at most I used my side-by-side shotgun (Baikal IZ 58 MAE 16/16) with slug, but if there were few boars, or i missed, two shots were not enough. so i was looking for something more practical with similar effect. i choosed lever action Marlin in 45-70 with Hornady FTX 325gr. originaly I wanted 1895GBL, but all gun dealers told me, that I have to wait more than hlaf an year to get this model, becase it takes a lot of time to get it from US. so I bought 1895, but I didn´t like that short magazine tube, so I bought a long one from 1895CB and shorten it to the same lenght as the bore has. now I can load 7+1 of ammo and that is great for primary use (collective hunt) and o course it looks much, much better now (for me :biggrin: ).

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

I know just few hunters using so big caliber (the most used calibers are 7 or 8mm) and lever action rifles too. but everybody, who saw my Marlin was suprised of that huge hole in the bore and admired it :congrats:.
of course I use another rifles (7x57R and 7x64) depending of hunt, but my Marlin became my favourite from the first day a own it. in the future i´m going to buy Marlin Model 60sn for sport and fun.
I would like to read and learn more about this amazing rifles, because in our country there they are not so usual kind of weapon and there is not so much experiences with it.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice to hear, interesting story, you will likely start a Marlin trend in your group.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Great way to make your Marlin " Yours "

Welcome. Next you'll be choppin off the barrel so you can swing in thick brush :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Nice mod, more ammo is always a good thing. I think you will also love the model 60, I know I do!!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Welcome from Illinois.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire.

I have the 1895SBL and if you get a good one it's worth waiting for.
I had to wait over a year to get one!
You can't go wrong with the one you have, longer tube is nice to have.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Peter,

Welcome to MO.

Way to go, pics of "custom" Marlin, on first post!

Go ahead, "make some bacon" with that fine looking Marlin!

Later, Mark

Reactions: lescarpentier

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Welcome from Ohio and congratulations on that 1895. Looks like you did a good job on that magazine tube. The 45 70 is perfect medicine for wild boar.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello Peter Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota in the USA
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Now the addiction with 45-70 begins. This caliber has taken every creature that walks the face earth and that includes the African big five when loaded properly loaded. A great choice for hog hunting. I use mine for deer hunting and I never have to chase them. If you reload this will offer you a wide variety of options for what ever game you decide to hunt. The magazine mod is a great addition.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.