Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys! I'm new on here just wanted to say a few things I'm really excited,I started my process of reloading for my marlin classic 1895, got a lee classic loader for 45-70 coming in the mail, got my powder coming bullets primers the whole shebang. Was wondering if anyone has a similar set up? I'm unsure of the powder there sending. but I'm getting a manual come with all my gear as well. I'm just wondering if the lee classic loader measure for the powder is safe? I got 350 grain flat point for target. 405 grain for hunting. I wont be making 250 yard shots. I'll be fifty to one hundred fifty feet away from my targets, close brush hunting I don't need to shoot ovals at one hundred yards. sorry for the ramble, I notice a lot of you guys are VERY SMART. I just got excited and started to unravel. I would love to get to know you all and pick your brains, Thanks By's. Hogan- Newfoundland

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Welcome Hogan. You are going to love your 1895. I have a couple of them (GS and SS). The Hornady interlock 350 JFN and JRN shoot very well from my 1895SS. The 405 gr bullet is the original design size so it's hard to go wrong with that one. I think the 1895/45-70 are perfect for close cover type hunting. My hunting conditions are in thick cover also. I think you made a good choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot!, I'm new to the big bore scene. Started off three years ago when my grandfather gave me a Cooey 64b semi auto gummed to oh hell. that started me off.. I'll take any information on the 45-70 as you can throw at me.. It will NOT go to waste.. thanks again all that replied - Matt hogan

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

Reactions: Newfie Is Me

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hey Hogan, welcome to the forums AND to the Marlinitis addiction from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! I have a Lee reloading setup which has served me well for close to fifteen years now. I broke my press the other day, but repairs are simple for it. My reloads are more accurate and consistent than factory loads, hands down. The 45-70 is simple to load, being big and robust by design. My Lee powder scale has never disappointed me, either. Just stick with the load recommendations they list and all will be well. Post some pictures of your rifle AND some of the countryside up there. We would all be excited to see where you hunt!

Ron

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.