Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Here are a couple of pictures off of my phone. I don't know why they're upside down, when I look at them on the slideshow viewer on my computer they are right-side up but they still post to this thread upside-down. Anyway, here is the rifle! Hope everybody likes it!

IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1787.JPG

Hello everyone!

For the past month or so I've been reading the great information on this forum and thanks to everything that I've learned from all of the great discussions and guides here, I finally can count myself as a Marlin owner!!! Just yesterday I picked up my very first lever-gun! It's a 1972 Marlin 336 in 30-30. I actually printed off one of the great used Marlin buyers guides from this forum and took it with me to the pawn shop where I purchased the rifle!

The gun is is excellent mechanical condition and the wood/bluing are probably 85-90% condition. The gun has a small gash in the butt-stockabout the size of a small paper clip and there is a tiny amount of rust on the magazine tube where the front sling mount was once located. That front sling mount is the only thing missing on the rifle. It also came with a new Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope already mounted to the weapon. They originally wanted $460 for the rifle and scope but I talked them down to $360!! All in all, I feel like I got a heck of a deal!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I'll be taking her to the range this weekend for the first time, and then probably into the woods to get after some coyotes here soon as well! If I can figure out how to post the pics of the rifle I will!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Welcome to MO Dan. You are already off to a good start. Some folks buy a new rifle then read the forum only to find out they bought a bad Remlin! Ya done good!

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
11,711 Posts
Welcome from Micanopy Florida. It sounds like you got a great deal. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome aboard, Congrats on a good deal. I know you will enjoy it and we look forward to some pics.
Just be warned, you can't have just one.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Congrats and Welcome! What part of NC are you from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will be posting pictures as soon as I can move them from my iPhone to the computer this evening at home.

dcsprings- I'm from the Lake Norman area just north of Charlotte. What about you?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Welcome from the swamp. Cheers....:tee:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina CarolinaDan! You did very good pricewise, the magazine can be fixed with 0000 steel wool, OR you can just replace the magazine tube. You can buy longer tubes and have a smith cut and fit it. I'm doing that to one of my rifles now. You may want to strip it all the way down and give it a through cleaning. There are "do it yourself" instructions and it is very easy to do (unlike Winchester 94's and Rossi 92's), so congrats and welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
15,418 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest I still haven't decided if I want to refinish the stock or not! Apart from that one little gouge the size of a very small paperclip, the stock is in excellent condition. Of course it has the almost unavoidable tiny little dents and dings, but then again, the gun is 42 years old and I think it adds a little character to the rifle. On the other hand, I did refinish the stock of my AK about 10 years ago with the help of my father and it turned out NICE! So, I guess it's a toss up between refinishing and not refinishing the stock.

As far as the the few rust spots are concerned, they all look like I can get them off with a little 0000 steel wool and some oil. Once I knock down the rust on the mag tube where the sling mount used to be I'll probably buy a sling mount to go over it anyway.

Can't wait to take her to the range this weekend!!! Wish the workweek was over already! Hahaha!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a nice rifle, you did good. I prefer the rifles from around that time frame myself... enjoy.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma and congrats on your 1972 30-30!

·
Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums from southern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome from the Crystal Coast - sounds like you negotiated a real sweet deal - great price on a great gun w/ excellent scope for the weapon, Job Well Done!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will be posting pictures as soon as I can move them from my iPhone to the computer this evening at home.

dcsprings- I'm from the Lake Norman area just north of Charlotte. What about you?
Small world I live in Luckey cove off Graham Rd! West Port Marina is in the back of our cove.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts