Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. nEwbie from ky.

about a year ago i bought a mossberg 20ga shotgun. and for somereason ran across hydro dipping. So i decided to snake skin the stock and foregrip(pump).

about the same time my nephew(8yrs old) wanted to learn of guns. I started him with bb guns. And then he tryed out my father in laws old remington single shot 22.
while we where there, i just now finished my 20gauge and wanted to make sure i put it all back together correct so got it out to shoot it. Of course him at 8yrs old, he went NUTS over the snake skin stock on it.
First question he asked, can i shoot it? well at 8, i had to say no, not till your a little older. Then he came off with "when i get old enough can i have it?" I then told him of course he can have it. And as soon as he is large enough to shoot it(he is small for his age, not sure when he will be big enough) its his gun.

with this said, about a month later i end up at a gun show. Found a smaller single shot 22. I HAD to get it for him and snake skin it for him.

few pics.

with that said, some have seen the 22 and asked for me to make them one similar with a different pattern. yesterday i ran across a guy saleing two marlin 60's for $150. one has small break in the trigger gaurd and the other dont have rear iron sights. but with $75 a pc. i had to buy.

so with the back story out of the way, trying to find a few options for sights and also the trigger gaurd assembly (with lsho option)

as for the sights i was tempted to completely remove the sights. and run a red dot "scope"
but if i remove rear sights the indention is left, and its pretty ugly. im wondering how i would go about filling in the indention left from the missing iron sights. think i could actually "WELD" the open spot and grind it all smoothe? or welding/heat a bad idea for the barrel on this rifle?

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Hello & Welcome from Arkansas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lex

im between lexington and morehead kentucky.

thanks for the comments on the stock work. i know its not for everyone. but its a different kind of hobby i guess. all started with me wanting to dip some parts for my project truck. Found a cheap 20gauge and tryed it on that before doing any of my truck parts. and it spiraled from there really.

few friends seen the guns and wanted to know what else i can do(pattern wise) and i showed them. they then ordered a pattern they want me to use. I started sanding on one of the marlin 60s last night. it was manufactured in 1995. the other 60 i found was a older model. 1976.

kinda sad to strip down the classics when they are in fairly good shape. but its what i was asked to do? And its not like these guns are hard to come by either. I have another for personal use thats just stock plain jain that i will not be dipping. been in the family since new. has the og 18shell tube. the two i got yesterday are both 14tube guns.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania! Nice looking stock work!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for the pictures:biggrin: John

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee.

There are blanks available that will fill the rear dovetail
Or as I have done - made from the rear sight
dovetail filler.JPG

·
Registered
19,763 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome from New York farm country, nice stock finish, keep your ammo dry!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Welcome from an old hunter.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! I don't know much about it all, but have to say I'm somewhat amazed at the coatings and/or finishes that can be done now-a-days to guns, bows, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts