Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner of a Marlin 1895G. Currently the only non factory accessory is the Skinner Alaskan Peep Sight. I love the profile of that rear sight as it looks like it is part of the receiver.

Rifle season is quickly coming up and I realized I haven't had my new Scout Scope mounted yet. I ordered one of the WWG Scout Scope bases thinking it would be a quick and easy job for a qualified Gunsmith. It seems drilling and tapping the 4 holes for the base is more challenging than I expected. The first quote I received from a local gunsmith was that it would be a 6 week wait.

Any recommendations for a good gunsmith in the Kansas City area capable of doing this work let me know!

I've decided instead of pushing my luck and not having the rifle ready for rifle season to go ahead and order one of the XS Scout Base mounts so I can use the scope this year without any drilling and tapping needed. The bad thing is I can't do that AND keep the Skinner Alaskan sight on the rear. So having to remove the Skinner Alaskan for now.

Conrad

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum cbell.

WWG shows a few scope mounts so I am not sure which one you have. If it is the short one I am curious why you chose the model that requires more drilling and tapping. Both Weaver and XS offer scout scope mounting rails that mount to the front receiver holes and the rear sight dovetail. They are user installed items. The toughest part is tapping out the rear sight which is pretty easy.

I see you have the Alaskan Skinner rear peep which precludes using the front two receiver holes. Not making any judgement call on your choices, but my preference was to install a shorter rear peep using the two rear receiver holes and a Weaver scout mount. I had no desire to retain the rear buckhorn sight as the short WWG mount allows. After using peeps for so long I can barely hit a barn with the semi-buckhorn sights anymore.

You may try Brownells or MidwayUSA for a gunsmith recommendation. I believe both have gunsmith listings somewhere on their website.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Enjoy the forum

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Welcome from Sugar Creek, why not just use the Skinners you've already mounted? It's late in the season to be changing horses mid-stream (so to speak).

John...
Are you a member of Pioneer?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum...............

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cbell, Welcome aboard. Lots of interesting things to learn on this forum and the most Marlin smart people you will ever meet.

I would like to second BFPGW's recommendation that you retain the Skinner sight, especially as it is late in the season. Surely, you can see your sights well enough to hit a deer or hog out to 150 yards or perhaps even 200. I am 67 years old but gave up on scopes when I got a fine old Savage 99 with a peep sight. It worked well and was followed by a couple of waffle top 336s and an 1895 Winchester that gained some aperture sights. This North Dakota country is wide open and little brush but 200 yards is a long shot. There has been no need for me to shoot a deer further than that in my entire life and the aperture sights work very well.

Enjoy your rifle as you surely have a fine one. Hate to see you drill it full of holes.
Dan

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York.

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Welcome from a South Florida!

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Super Moderator
16,017 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Raytowna Beach.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welcome from the woods of New York.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Southeast Kansas!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts