Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to purchase a Marlin 336 30-30win. I have to Thank all the fantastic members on here for providing some great information that led me to make what I think was a great purchase. They are great guns I knew and I love lever guns, but the information found on these pages allowed me to be informed and know that a marlin would be a rifle I'd have for years.

It was a buddy's, mistreated, ignored, and underutilized, shot 3x. Appears to be carbine length, 20"barrel, full length mag tube, noncheckered, birch furniture, brass color trigger, blued black barrel and receiver, bulleye, white spacer on grip cap and recoil pad, barrel band a few inches back, forearm band, no cross bolt safety, but trigger is inhibited if lever isn't fully seated, 4 receiver mounting screws(is there a plate that goes there sans scope?), hooded front site and elevating staged back site. Reads: Marlin Firearms Co. North Haven, CT Model 336 30-30caliber, circled JM on left barrel proximal, no other letters or proofs. Serial#: 2603XXXX. (1974?) Had some surface rust and fouling, took 4.5hrs and TLC to clear both and now it's a beauty. Not bad for $150.

Any information on this rifle would be greatly appreciated. Model, Date, rarity, worth, parts, history....???

Glad to be here.
TargetSher

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! If it's got the bullseye, it's probably a walnut stock as that was something Marlin only put on the walnut stocks! Trigger safety (what I call it) is normal as are the 4 reciver mounting screws -- you only take those out if you plan to mount a scope! Should be a 1974 for sure and the rarity of it is that you bought that sucker for $150 -- that is commonly known as GTM (Grand Theft Marlin). I think you have read well and learned very quickly and we're glad to have you! You did good! Also the no checkering and no cross bolt safety says you got a real gem! Glad it cleaned up well, but you must realize that to have all the benefits of membership you must post pics!:biggrin: John

Reactions: Targetsher

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello and welcome from Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!! Sounds like you have a keeper there! Great price!

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee & Congrats on your new rifle!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums from southern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You know... A couple of hours north in Kittery Maine there is a store that usually has ten-twelve used Marlins on the rack at any given time... Hit up the Kittery Trading Posts for more good finds. That's where I got my 1895G for 450 with XS Sights, my 35Rem for $350 and my 39 Golden for 375! Best Marlin source I ever found!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, I love to find diamonds in the rough, just found a 1952 Sears JC Higgins Model 20 12GA pump for a song, good luck with your find, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Hello & Welcome from Arkansas.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome from the swamp. Enjoy...:tee:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
welcome to the forum from the capital district of NY... and great deal!! cant wait to see pics and hear how she shoots!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Welcome aboard...............

Another 336 saved from ....Bubba.:)

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! If it's got the bullseye, it's probably a walnut stock as that was something Marlin only put on the Marlin stocks! Trigger safety (what I call it) is normal as are the 4 reciver mounting screws -- you only take those out if you plan to mount a scope! Should be a 1974 for sure and the rarity of it is that you bought that sucker for $150 -- that is commonly known as GTM (Grand Theft Marlin). I think you have read well and learned very quickly and we're glad to have you! You did good! Also the no checkering and no cross bolt safety says you got a real gem! Glad it cleaned up well, but you must realize that to have all the benefits of membership you must post pics!:biggrin: John
Thank you for the information, even more glad I went through with it now. It's amazing how it reacted to some elbow grease and TLC. That would be a 336C then right? Also the screws that were holding the scope mount when I removed the mount (iron sights are the way I'm going for now, gotta build repore with the rifle), the screws went too far into the receiver(>1/16") and blocked the bolt travel, so I found some old brass washers of my greatgrandfathers in his tools that I've inherited and put those under to make up the difference. On reading other posts and looking through parts #'s PDF's I ordered receiver mount adapter screws (shorter softer metal, original equipment)through Midway. This seemed the appropriate fix, unless there's a flat plate that goes there under the longer screws??? (didn't see one in the blown up diagram I found). Thoughts anyone?

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Ditch the brass washers and use those filler screws you got from Midway! Just my 2 cents:biggrin: John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts