Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the current value of a 1894 .357 is looking like. The rifle is in very good condition and hits all the marks. It's JM... Pre-safty... Born 1983. I shot it...smooth action. Loved it!

The price on it is $1400 bucks!... Good price, bad price, or crazy price.

Is the market going up and up or what?

Thanks for even looking at a newbie question.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would think $1400 is a very high price. But Marlins are really going up in price, especially the JM's. They will be back down in price when Ruger starts to put them out. Right now the market is really dry and only scalpers are selling them. For the most part.

·
Super Moderator
31,937 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
Had one in my hands at a pawnshop, the price at the time was $700. This was a couple years ago.

ca'jun56

Reactions: Timmyo

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yes that's high. That said, With the shortages Right now and the fact that this rifle is no longer made price is irrelevant. If you have the funds and really like it I say buy it. You can wait til / if the market settles BUT will you ever find another one . My advice is to also get a 357 magnum revolver for the ultimate duo

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
You've heard that old saying..... 'A JM Marlin in hand is worth 2 in the wind'... or something like that??

Reactions: TRAILS-END

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Are you sure about the DOM. The first year of the cross bolt safety was 1983. It could be a left over receiver from earlier year. What are the first two digits of the SN? If it's 17, then that "might," I say "might" add a little collector value.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Welcome, You received a lot of good advice here. The decision is really up to you. When any of us buy one, that is the way it works out. After it's home and paid for for a while you will not remember the price so much. Enjoy, and do what you think is best.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finding a JM Model 1894 in 357 mag For Sale right now is the biggest hurdle. My opinion on the $1400 price , is thats alittle too high. A better Fair Deal Price would be $900 to $1200. In todays market. What someone paid for their Model 1894 , 2 years ago or longer is Irrelevant Ancient History......Quality guns that will never be made again always hold their value....pre-64 Winchesters, Belgum made Brownings, Kimber of Oregon.......oh did I mention JM Marlins.........good luck in your decision

·
Registered
997 Posts
Welcome from central ND!
I agree that the price is on the high side. I know some locally that have been in the $1000 range-private sales. But, they go quickly! Also there have been a few advertised in the area online markets for $2,000 - but no one is buying them.

If you could grab it near that $1,000 it might be a fair deal in today's market. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts