Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Been real busy changing jobs and getting up to speed at my new job. I bid Wal-Mart a fond adieu after 19 Yrs and started a new career with Acxiom out of Little Rock, AR. I'm working in the Analytics Consulting Team at Acxiom and am directly supporting on of our clients based in Cincinnati. So far I'm loving it!!! I get to work from home for the most part, with occasional travel either to Little Rock or Cincinnati.

I got a new deer rifle this past spring. It's a Remington 700 Mountian LSS is 7MM-08. I've been working up some hand loads for it and have got it shooting 1/2" groups at 100Yds with 140Grn Accubonds.

Been shooting my 1897CL a bit lately. It does OK with Wolf Match Target (about 3/4" groups at 25Yds) but I need to try some different fodder to see if I can find the ammo that it really really likes. Any suggestions?

I pretty much missed out on spring squirrel season. I only got to go once and that turned out to be on a very windy day and I didn't even see a squirrel less more get a shot ant any.

So.......how's things with you guys?

firstshot
--------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Firstshot,
good to hear from you. I'm glad your enjoying your new job. I, for one, have been working too much. I haven't got to squirrel hunt or fish.
You might try some aguila standard velocity in your marlin. I had a 39a that liked it real well. I hope you will be able to get off from that new job for the shawnee hunt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey first shot,I'm just down the road from you, I'm in Heber springs AR.You Know as well as me you have to try different ammo to see what your rifle shoots.But I would try CCI mini mags,CCI Velocitors,Federal game shok,Winchester Power points,and probably the beast of the lot Eley high velocity(all hollow points).The federal game shoks would be my first choice because they dont destroy as much .If you got talent and dont mind being 2nd best come on by and I'll loan you some ammo to see what your gun wants
This is what my browning bl-22 will do at 60 yards with the Eley high velocity hollow points. the top two holes were shot at 125 yards just for fun discount them

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Hey Gang.... good to hear from ya Firstshot.. Nice shooting moon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Firstshot.

Good to hear from you. I hardly ever post anymore but do read most every day. Glad you are likeing your new job. Everybody has to do what they think is right or be sorry for the rest of your life. I still make a stock once in a while and whittle a little. Still trying to get the hang of it. Take care.

DG :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice to see ya posting again- welcome back!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
363 Posts
hey firstshot!

always good to hear from you. hope to see you in shawnee this year. good luck with the new job.

luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to see you back, as you can see top gun challenge is on line for ft Polk this year. You can catch me in Bayou Outdoors Magazine as a columnist. Hit me on the IM on Yahoo im on on the weekends.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sarge, moontroll, rustynuts, Gunjunkie, smoke810, Doc, SquirrelSniper, SQUACKS, UNCLE JOHN (TTG)...Sure great to hear from all of you guys!!!

Shawnee is a big question mark this year, I'm taking the family on a cruise Labor Day week. I may only be able to come for the weekend, but I'm going to do my best to make it.

moontroll "If you got talent and dont mind being 2nd best come on by and I'll loan you some ammo to see what your gun" Well, I've got a little bit of tallent (I play the guitar :wink: )..............and I absolutely can't stand being second best :( . Here is a pic of 7 BDT's I shot in a row. The last shot on the 8th target cut the black, so thats 39 shots in a row "Inside" of a 1/2" circle @ 25YDs.

It's a prety good hike over to Heber Springs but I do very much appreciate the offer. By the way, that's a totally excellent group at 60Yds. You need to get yourself qualified on the "Black Death Target" so you can join a bunch of us in Uncle John's "Order of the White Feather"

Uncle John
How about emailing me an updated White Feather list and I'll start a new Black Death Target thread. I need to get busy and get qualified with my 1897CL (39A).

Email Address: [email protected]

firstshot
-------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Hey Doug, glad you're back posting again. Congrats on the career change. Hope you're not one of those being considered for a RIF that I read about in yesterday's Dem-Gaz. Also saw in this morning's paper that Acxiom is again in the crosshairs from that outfit in Kalifornia trying the hostile takeover :roll: . Next time you're down LR way, give us a shout if you have a chance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nobody39

Hey there Harv! As far as the Acxiom thing goes, well, sometimes all you can do is your best and just wait and see where the chips fall.

Send me a PM as to how to get in contact with you down in LR and I'll definitely look ya up next time I'm in town.

firstshot
----------------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts