Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just oiled my marlin xt 22 bolt action an the bolt is not sliding as well, i have never fired the gun, brand new, its slides in and out rough. what did i do wrong?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You might post this in the correct forum for more responses, kdmlove22.

Was it rough before you oiled it?

When you say rough, do you mean you have to force it or do you mean not silky smooth?

If it's brand new, and (maybe?) you just mounted a scope, perhaps the screws for the scope mounting system are protruding into the action and dragging on the bolt?

Did you take it apart or just oil it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will do tatersoup:) it was not rough before i oiled it. brand new i have mounted the scope or unscrewed anything yet.
and bloodgrove i did that serval times:(

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
did you twist the front of bolt any? i had this on a model 25

how does it slide with trigger pulled back?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with the trigger back it still sticks, and i read the manuel and i did twist it a little bit, to keep it unlocked, its the red circle on the bolt in the back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill check when i gety home today but looking last night i did not see any werid rubbing spots, i used the lubricant you in the kid a light amount on a rag and rubbed the whole bolt down.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If all you did was oil it than more than likely you put to much oil in and around the action and gummed it up. I suggest you clean it good and then only use a lite oil to wipe it down. I use Remington Rem oil but there are any number of good oils out there. I had one man tell me he uses automotive oil in his guns and a couple of others agree. I for one am going to try it myself. you also might try some Bore Butter on your action. Use it sparingly as a little bit goes a long way. I put a dab on my 700 BDL action and it really made it slick and reduced the drag.

Good Luck
444GS2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds goodthank you, il ltry cleaning it first, yeah i used a little bit of the oil on a cloth and just rubbed it lightly all around the bolt

·
Registered
711 Posts
You may have freed up some manufacturing debris when you oiled it, and it's stuck somewhere binding.,
I'd take it apart and give the action a good cleaning, then oil lightly as suggested above.
See if she frees up after that, it should operate smoothly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts