Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all fellow freedom lovers. I just joined the eternal brotherhood of the 2nd amendment with a recent purchase of a beautiful Marlin 795. Heading to the range today to get her broken in. Plan on running a brick of CCI through her with perhaps a few cleaning patches during the process.

Here are few questions I have for the fellow owners, which I'm sure are answered in various locations on this forums.

1 - Is the ammo that my 795 likes going to be different or similar to that of other 795 owners? (i.e. should I believe what I read or just find out for myself)
2 - Do most 795 owners choose brass/copper or washed bullets instead of lead?
3 - What are your favorite scope/red dot/iron sights for this rifle from $50 - $150
4 - What is your favorite shoulder pad/magazine holder for a 6'3" guy with average arm length.

I plan on doing about 95% plinking and 5% hunting, though I have yet to grab myself an Adventure pass or hunting license. As far as game I'm looking to hunt, I would say rabbit, game-birds, possibly a turkey. Probably not squirrels since I'm not sure I would eat one and I wouldn't want to kill one for sport unless they were having overpopulation issues or something (which I don't think they are in California?)

Thanks a million for any thoughts on my concerns and/or hunting in Southern California.

At this precise moment I'm trying to ignore the ants in my pants as I wait for Turner's Outdoors to open so I can grab another mag/ammo and head up to the local outdoor range to do some sighting and plinking!

·
Registered
24,252 Posts
welcome from upstate ny. me. I hunt squirrel with .22 love it! and yes! we eat em. I keep em add some rabbit etc. I belong to a rev war group we hunt trail shoot camp etc. thats when we eat em.

·
Registered
20,162 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio. Enjoy that new Marlin.

Is the .22LR exempted from the CA lead bullet ban for hunting and outside shooting?

You be careful out there...

·
Super Moderator
11,999 Posts
Welcome neighbor. ..............'adventure pass'! Forgot all about that. Drew my tag for deer. Last California hunt was maybe twenty five years ago. .............can't wait to blow this hole.

John

·
Administrator
27,470 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from the Sierra Foothills. Enjoy the site!

Jack

·
Super Moderator
32,126 Posts
Welcome from down south Louisiana.

Two marlin 60's and one .22 mag!

cajun56

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Howdy from South East Alaska!

·
Registered
651 Posts
You can eat California Grey squirrels, do not attempt to eat California Ground squirrels. I've eaten most everything that has crawled or swam on this earth at one time or another, to include chipmunk in the Mtns of Ca.(Bridgeport to be exact)-but I won't eat ground squirrels!

Nice to see a Cali man choosing to exercise his 2nd Amendment rights.

Former Cali (San Dog-born and raised).

Move out and draw fire-Carry on.

Reactions: JMAG54

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Welcome from the piney woods of East Texas.

To hopefully answer one of your questions, I would just get a variety of all types of .22LR ammo and group them at 25 yards on paper with 5 shot groups.
.22LR ammo is weird and so are the guns that shoot it. Nothing is predictable.
Once you find the ammo it likes, keep the other stuff. Something else might like it better.

EXAMPLE: My Ruger 10/22 LOVES Thunderbolts, but I have heard others cuss it to the extreme. I hit a 2 liter water bottle with one round at a measured 238 yards with my first round shooting uphill with a Nikon scope. It is because I have memorized its trajectory in this particular rifle.

However, my Henry Golden Boy hates them and LOVES CCI high velocity 22 shorts. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Hey Laprepper - Welcom to MO. Don't pass on the tree squirrels. They are great sport with a .22 and are great eating (lots of good recipes out there). Can't wait until September 1 - will be Opening Day here in Ohio and the start of my 52nd season of squirrel hunting. Don't be surprised if the most accurate ammo brand in your rifle is different from another rifle of the same type. Rifles are all "individuals" - try several types and see what yours likes best.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts