Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a nice 783 at a gun show last weekend and was beyond thrilled. I thought my Marlinitis was cooled down after that. Then I realized I had a few things around the house that I could trade and I started perusing Armslist. I came across this guy (1951 336 .35rem SC) and shot the owner an offer. I was just figuring on another.. No thanks. To my surprise he messaged back and we struck a deal. I had an SC a few years ago (not this nice though) and I traded it away like a moron. This one isn't going anywhere! Roof Wood Tree Wall Plant
Gun Trigger Air gun Shotgun Shooting sport
Table Room Furniture Wood

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's got a few light marks in the wood and a small amount of rust on the edge of the receiver. But, for a rifle that old to be in this nice of shape, when it's probably been in a closet or under a bed for the last 40+ years... I love it. It feels twice as light as my '79 .35 with a scope on it and shoulders effortlessly. I can't wait to get it to the range.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just realized my "unmolested waffle top" has a molested **s end :hmmmm2: I was hoping that the older 336s (50's) did not have the bulls-eye. Upon further review, I have a sling swivel in mine :( I will probably order a new bulls-eye, but I'm not sure if I want to drill another hole in the stock. I like having a sling on my rifles, but if it wasn't there originally.... Kind of torn.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I just realized my "unmolested waffle top" has a molested **s end :hmmmm2: I was hoping that the older 336s (50's) did not have the bulls-eye. Upon further review, I have a sling swivel in mine :( I will probably order a new bulls-eye, but I'm not sure if I want to drill another hole in the stock. I like have a sling on my rifles, but if it wasn't there originally.... Kind of torn.
I understand your issue with not wanting to drill a hole. I have a Winchester 94 Big Bore 375 that never had a sling. I hate to do it but I guess I'll drill it for a sling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found a nice 783 at a gun show last weekend and was beyond thrilled. I thought my Marlinitis was cooled down after that. Then I realized I had a few things around the house that I could trade and I started perusing Armslist. I came across this guy (1951 336 .35rem SC) and shot the owner an offer. I was just figuring on another.. No thanks. To my surprise he messaged back and we struck a deal. I had an SC a few years ago (not this nice though) and I traded it away like a moron. This one isn't going anywhere! View attachment 709106 View attachment 709114 View attachment 709122
Lucky man you are :)

·
Super Moderator
7,326 Posts
Congrats on finding two very nice rifles!

·
Registered
856 Posts
SCOOOOORRRRREEEEE!!!!!! Nice job!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just realized my "unmolested waffle top" has a molested **s end :hmmmm2: I was hoping that the older 336s (50's) did not have the bulls-eye. Upon further review, I have a sling swivel in mine :( I will probably order a new bulls-eye, but I'm not sure if I want to drill another hole in the stock. I like having a sling on my rifles, but if it wasn't there originally.... Kind of torn.
Just put the bullseye back where it belongs and put the swivel stud where it should be. Put some epoxy in the hole where the swivel is now when you glue the bullseye in. Easypeasy!

edit: reread your post. I missed a little. Sorry. However, I don’t think it will affect your originality. I have a 1950-made 336, and they also came from the factory drilled for slings. Make it yours!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice waffle top! I have a '50 .35 Rem SC that I bought last year and I love that rifle. I changed the height of the front sight so I could shoot accurately at 100 yards. The rear sight elevator didn't allow much adjustment for that distance, but it's dead-on now. My only problem I have now is removing the fore-end band screws, so I can take the gun completely apart. As you can see from the pictures, the screw heads are stripped, so will have to take it to a local gunsmith to remove. Hate to try this myself and scratch the gun even more. But this rifle is a "keeper"!!!!! As you said, yours will be too......
Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just put the bullseye back where it belongs and put the swivel stud where it should be. Put some epoxy in the hole where the swivel is now when you glue the bullseye in. Easypeasy!

edit: reread your post. I missed a little. Sorry. However, I don’t think it will affect your originality. I have a 1950-made 336, and they also came from the factory drilled for slings. Make it yours!
Yeah. I think I'm leaning towards bulls eye and drilling the proper hole.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice waffle top! I have a '50 .35 Rem SC that I bought last year and I love that rifle.
Nice long gun, Wild! And welcome to THE Forum! Two keys to success here: Posts and Pics! You’re doing them both!!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nice snags! Got to appreciate a nice waffle top SC & in 35 to boot!
I just got an A in 35, but it was tapped. :argh:
Looks like factory or a professional job tho.
I knew it was when I bought it, price was right & overall great condition.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I just finished replacing the bulls-eye and remounting the sling swivel. These new bulls-eyes are awfully bright, but it'll wear eventually. I'm glad I went ahead with it. Wood Room Hardwood Furniture Table
Table Room Furniture
Knife Wood

Reactions: Ret_Eng
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.