Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feral hogs have become an epidemic problem in many states.
One major problem is their massive reproductive capacitive.
These vermin can easily (and often do) decimate entire crops.

This Texas feral hog shooting chopper "Heli-Hogging' video is fascinating.

The pilot has a fixed .223 rifle with optics rigged back to his helmet and eye-piece.
He's fairly accurate, as you'll see, and his Scout Chopper flying skills are down pat.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
looks like he's doing a good job there. wonder what the load is....whatever it is, it burns-burns-burns, lol

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I seen Ted Nugent and the Pigman hunt from a helicopter and man does it look fun!!!!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Awesome! :top:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
It is fun but not very effective. Hog hunting is a cash cow for the gentlemen farmer of which we have a lot in Texas so hogs are not going anywhere.

The only way to reliably remove ferrel hogs is to trap them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How on Earth do they get all that meat out from the fields?
Who searches for the wounded animals and shoot them?

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering the same thing......dogs to find them and a trailer to haul them to a butcher station? Can't leave them too long in the Texas heat. Mighty fine shooting and flying skills for sure, and I see more .223/5.56 on the shelves more than any other ammo. I'd love to try it someday (with smeone else flying of course)

Reactions: lescarpentier

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
When you squish a cockroach do you harvest the meat or throw it in the trash? If you squish him and he runs under a cabinet do you tear apart the walls looking for him? The Hogs problem is a lot like a roach problem. We are not hunting. We are exterminating.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
I still struggle with that too. Feral hogs of the proper size are good eating and a heck of a lot more intelligent than cockroaches. I was raised to harvest the meat when hunting. I have a hard time leaving them dead in the field.

BTW, the Texas legislation legalizing the hunting of feral hogs from a helicopter was dubbed the "Pork Chopper" bill by legislators when it was working its way through the House and Senate. LOL

Yes, in many places, feral hogs are an expensive nuisance devastating crops. On other ranches they are negatively impacting wildlife, especially the coveted and lucrative whitetails as well as quail. And then there are ranches where trapped hogs are actually brought in to replenish populations being hunted for a fee.

There are a lot of perspectives when it comes to feral hogs. Since I'm not a farmer, for me they are a boon affording year-round big game hunting and good table fare.

To each his own.

Reactions: lescarpentier

·
Banned
457 Posts
love the music in the background, but I can't help but wonder if the actual audio sounds like this, "get Some" get some

Reactions: MarkStar

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
feral hogs and the huge numbers of exotic carp in our rivers....maybe mother nature is just trying to feed the survivors....got a new tin foil hat for my B-Day....:biggrin:

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
It is fun but not very effective. Hog hunting is a cash cow for the gentlemen farmer of which we have a lot in Texas so hogs are not going anywhere.

The only way to reliably remove ferrel hogs is to trap them.
Correct. This helicopter hunting has nothing to do with "hog eradication" and everything to do with "money". It is the equivalent of a "safari" for those with the money to pay for it and has little to do with your average Joe hunter. It's like watching lifestyles of the rich and famous. :flute:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Enjoyed the video and I enjoy watching Heli-Hunter or what ever its called on TV. I don't live in Texas, heck, never even visited there so I just take the Texans' word for their hog problem. It looks to be a BIG problem so I think it really takes both trapping and aggressive hunting to bring the population down and get it under some kind of control. Kudos for those who have figured out a way to irradicate hogs and make $$ too. Capitalism at work here. If there was a poison that would kill ONLY hogs, that ought to be used too. If there was a laser beam that would sterilize the sows, that ought to be used too. I've only killed 3 in my life, so I don't know much. Probly just ought to shut up now.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I may be wrong but I think it's a gunner with a GoPro mounted on his rifle and not the Pilot shooting. You can see an arm holding the rifle and most of the time even if a chopper can be flown from both sides, the pilot is on the right.

Aerial shooting is fun and can be effective short term but it's got to be cost prohibitive. We pay about $800/hour for contracted flying time. That would make for pretty expensive porkchops.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Look's like fun! Fun too rich for my blood, but fun nonetheless.

Reactions: jgriffin1988
1 - 18 of 18 Posts