Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I pulled apart my Marlin 45/70 Big Loop to give it a good clean out as a mate and his son and I were out West on a pig hunt so the dust that got into the action from riding around on the quads got into everything hence the strip down.

Now as we owners know when you take the bolt out there's an ejector on the left side of the receiver that is held in with a pin..................a very small pin I might add that helps with ejecting a fired case and it's this pin that I need. This pin dropped onto the floor and God knows where it went to as I've looked around the floor, under the reloading bench and so far it's disappeared into wherever these little things disappear too and eventually turn up years later.................................a sort of Bermuda Triangle you would call it. I'm not winning here in Australia so far chasing down this part and I'll also get the extractor for it as well on that left side.

Now if it's possible and 1 of you gentlemen or women out there know where I can get one of these bits or has them lying around I'm willing to pay for them as I'll be needing the rifle again in the next few months especially before October as I'm going back up to the Cape pig hunting and will need the rifle to calm the angry hordes of pig invaders.
As Murphy's Law states it takes a 5c piece to screw a million dollar bit of machinery.:mad:

·
Registered
997 Posts
if it's really just a plain steel pin, it would probably help you to know its exact dimensions (and someone here will be able to tell you) so you can build a couple if you don't find them ready available in your area...

·
Registered
517 Posts
You may take a shot (pun intended) at Numrich Gun Parts. You may have a chance with Marlin, but, with all of the legal “sruff”......parts may be tough to get! memtb

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it's really just a plain steel pin, it would probably help you to know its exact dimensions (and someone here will be able to tell you) so you can build a couple if you don't find them ready available in your area...
That's the trouble the pin is probably a mm long and probably about as thick as a mm at the best with a head on it (I think).

"You may take a shot (pun intended) at Numrich Gun Parts. You may have a chance with Marlin, but, with all of the legal “sruff”......parts may be tough to get! memtb "

I'll have a look at that site thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
unfortunately I also have experienced the ITAR-import/export problems:mad:, for this reason I suggested the possibility of obtaining it from something else, if someone will tell you the exact measures, at least until you can get an original one _
good luck, anyway !

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
21,851 Posts
Get a long magnet, one with the telescoping neck and start running over every nook and cranny . . . and give a prayer to Saint Anthony, "the finder of listings". Don't laugh, it works for me, in the worst situations.

Can't hurt.

Gr8rtst._

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check out "usedguns.com.au" there is one on there. Type in "marlin" in the keyword box and it is near the top of the list. Only problem is it comes with a bolt that looks complete for $275. Upside is you get a spare extractor and firing pins etc. as well. I usually get marlin stuff from Brownells but since the bankruptcy all the genuine parts are listed as "out of stock...no back order".
Good luck,
regards,

Reactions: bcjol and Boris

·
Registered
543 Posts
The pin is attached to the ejector... If it is missing you need a new ejector because it broke, not fell out...

View attachment 844708

^

Western firearms in Sydney might be worth a call, or rebel gun works
I might know of some if you get stuck
Both Cleavers & Brownells au have Bear Proof ejectors from Wild West Guns listed if you can’t get a Marlin one

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can't find a factory Marlin 1895 ejector in stock anywhere, but, Brownells has the "bear proof" ejectors in stock. More expensive than stock, but will make your rifle work again for $41..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't find a factory Marlin 1895 ejector in stock anywhere, but, Brownells has the "bear proof" ejectors in stock. More expensive than stock, but will make your rifle work again for $41..

Thanks for that .I may have located a new ejector for it here in Australia just waiting on a reply. If it doesn't come through I'll certainly give Brownell's a go.
So for the moment thanks for everybody's help.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Agree with the above.

I would add, that the old ejector may be repairable....

Find a drill bit that fits the hole in the receiver that originally received the indexing nub of the ejector. Your local auto parts or machine store (shop) will have a selection of numbered and lettered drill bits. One of them will fit. Then drill out spot where the original nub used to be. By definition, the resulting hole through the ejector will fit the bit.

Now insert the drill bit into the hole in the ejector and grind the length to fit. Affix the bit into the hole with permanent Lock-Tite. Degrease everything first and hopefully, you'll be back in business.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
As I get older I think I need to place a white sheet on the ground before I start dismantling things
When I was a kid, I used to take my old, wind-up watches to a jeweler in town for cleaning. When he sat at his workbench, he'd use a couple of Pony clamps to attach bottom of his his apron to the table so it would catch anything he'd happen to drop.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was putting a spring kit in a S&W 641 when the hand torsion spring, (very small) went flying in the garage shop, I figured to never never land! After a thorough search, I found it in my hair!! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts