Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good soggy Monday morning to everyone:
Finding myself in possession of a box of really nice WFNGC bullets (45-70/385/LFP G/C BULLETS) and an 1895GS, I thought I'd do some tinkering to make them work together. The bullets are 0.459" in diameter, with a short ogive, so they won't chamber given the 1895's very short throat. Could I convert them to bore-riders? My 1895 slugs out at 0.4515" diameter on the lands. I pushed the bullets part way through a 0.451" Lee bullet sizing die, just enough to reduce the diameter of the part of the bullet that previously engaged the lands, without reducing the diameter of the loaded part of the bullet more than necessary (the die is tapered). I then pushed the whole slug through a 0.460" sizing die to make sure I hadn't squished or deformed it. The bottom half of the projectile remained 0.459" in diameter.
Crimped at the top of the forwardmost lube groove, the COL is 2.53", and they chamber and cycle fine, with no land engagement.
Would they shoot? Very well. At 1610 fps (a carefully worked-up load) from the 1895 GS, they make one big ragged hole at 50 yards (On a side note, the free recoil energy in the Marlin is about the same as a 375 H&H from a typical safari rifle). How about terminal performance? Mr. Gardner says these projectiles are cast from 92/6/2 alloy. They average 490g on my scale with lube and gas check. Three gallon jugs of water, a 2x6 and two 1x4s later, the bullet still has 96% of its original weight, but is now 83 caliber with a classic mushroom. In the picture below, you see the bullet in its original state, with a resized one next to it, the bullet as loaded, and the bullet after its brief fling with the environment. I'd like to hear if anyone else has taken this approach to making full-diameter-to-short-ogive bullets work in the Marlins.
Best regards.
490.jpg

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nobody can argue with your results as being a workable solution for somebody who doesn't cast their own. Accurate Molds has several designs that they can make to your spec and you wouldn't have to monkey around with multiple sizing operations. But you would have to cast your own...

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Food plot,
Nice work! I have done the same thing but for the old style 180 RCBS bullet in the .30-30. I pushed it nose first into a .301" H & I die in a lubrisizer to size down the forward 2 driving bands to be bore riders. That worked very well and gave good accuracy @ 2,000 f.p.s..

But the more notable bore rider was converting a 180 gr. LBT bullet to a bore riding nose so that when loaded into a 357 mag case the oal was the same as the 357 Maximum. I used a .348" die to size down the first two driving bands so that just the last driving band & the gas check was inside the case. Thus, the 357 mag case so loaded had the case capacity of the 357 Maximum.

Due to the oal, the cartridges had to be fed singly. At the time my only 357 leverguns was a Rossi. The bullets exited its 20" barrel at 2,070 f.p.s.(!) and accuracy at 100 yards was very good. A 5 shot group landed in about 2 1/2".

Understanably the impact was 10" higher than my regular 1650 fps 180 gr 357 magnum load.

Since I acquired my 357 Marlin Cowboy (24") I had thought about loading some more to see what the extra 4" of barrel might do but I haven't as yet. Maybe in 2016.......

w30wcf

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Your doing a fine job at making the bullets you have work for you. I don't know if your into casting but that would be the way to go if you do a lot of shooting. You can order the size and type of bullet mold you want from Accurate and he does a fine job making the mold for you. But kudos your making it work for what you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts