Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shooting heavy bullets in a 30-30?

The 150/170gr flatnose have always been the go-to bullets for this round. Just curious if anyone has tried shooting heavier bullets, either single fed or otherwise.

Any experience with how heavier bullets perform accuracy wise and/or how they perform on game?

A bit vague, I know but as mentioned its more of a curiosity than anything.

·
Registered
224 Posts
funny you should ask...
i been shooting some 180gr. sbt left over from my grandpa.
load'em into my win.94 one at a time right into the chamber.
had to seat'em deep...and that means low vel. & low impact on target.
did find one accurate load...then ran out of bullets...but it was fun while
i waited for some 150gr. to get to the house.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
"I'm your huckleberry"! I really like the Hawk Precision Bullets 190 FN in the .030" jacket. I started out loading it in once fired Hornady LE brass ( which has the tightest primer pockets of anything, anywhere!) and H335; crimp with FCD. I got over 2150 with it in a standard chambered 30-30 RC (20" bbl) I later had this rifle reamed out to 30-30 Ackley Improved. since I had all my Hawk bullets loaded up already, I clocked them out of the Ackley...I still got 2050 fps! You figure the old .303 Savage used a 190 around 1900 and was a gee wiz killer of northern game, so this load has to be awesome too! I have my back-up peep sighted in for these 190 Hawks. Just start low and work up, they "bump up" real quick. They may not kill anything as quick as a fast 150 or 160FTX, but you won't have to worry about what angle your buck/boar is standing! KaPowee! Just be sure and take pictures of the wound for us!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have used the Lee C309-200-R in a .30-30.
Subsonic with 7.0g Unique for 1075fps and supersonic with A5744 at 1832fps. O.A.L at 2.500" to allow feeding from magazine, crimped on the nose. Not very practical, they are too long and the round nose makes them bad for hunting.
They do work well in .308 and .30-06.
I have also loaded military 147g boat tail bullets in a .30-30. They have to be single loaded. Also not practical, but shows what you could do if components got hard to find.
M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts