Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When raising or lowering your Marlin or any other weapon, from a tree stand, make sure that it is securly attached to your line before proceeding. Haste makes waste. Pictured are the pieces to my 444 buttstock that I was able to find after watching my rifle tumble to the ground. Fortunately, damage was limited to the stock and a minor scratch to the receiver. A new replacement stock is on its way from Numrich Gun Parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Point well illustrated and well taken.

I hope it was unloaded....

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. If I could add on, make sure of the condition of rope. The worst dings on my Rem mountain rifle came from a poly rope that had dry rotted and snapped. Luckily it was only a couple inches from the ground, but when it fell over it hit some small stones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was unloaded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was unloaded.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. If you have no plan to attempt a stock repair I would like an opportunity to use it for practicing repairs. If available let me know what you would want for it. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Ouch!
Wonder if we might be distant relatives.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. If I could add on, make sure of the condition of rope. The worst dings on my Rem mountain rifle came from a poly rope that had dry rotted and snapped. Luckily it was only a couple inches from the ground, but when it fell over it hit some small stones.
Brings back memories. When I started deer hunting it was with a party. There was a tree I was sent to that had nice comfortable limbs but you used a rope to reach the lower limb to get into the crotch. One of the members of the party cut through part of the rope to get back at another member (different sense of humor, you had to be there) I just about got shimmied up to grab the branch when the rope broke. Went down and landed on my scoped rifle which was slung across my back. Mumbled something about the parentage of the individual that sent me there and got back up in the tree and did get a deer. Guy that doctored the rope got a good laugh form it, even though I was not the intended target he thought I was good enough. I quit party hunting a couple of years after that. Jobs and the dislike of that sort of hunting. Seemed like military maneuvers to get deer. We would stand in the mornings, drive during the day and stand in the evenings. The party got more deer off stand and I hated the driving. Learned a lot though. One putz that hunted in the group had magnumitize. Before a magnum has any use you have to hit what you shoot at.

DEP

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
When raising or lowering your Marlin or any other weapon, from a tree stand, make sure that it is securly attached to your line before proceeding. Haste makes waste. Pictured are the pieces to my 444 buttstock that I was able to find after watching my rifle tumble to the ground. Fortunately, damage was limited to the stock and a minor scratch to the receiver. A new replacement stock is on its way from Numrich Gun Parts.
Sorry for your misfortune Sir. Owies are never good.

Interesting break ... would be a fun repair to go at though.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Maybe some 35 years ago, I had a hastily tied knot come undone as I was lowering a Marlin 30AS. I watched helplessly as the knot started to slip, and being a young fool, I tried to bring it back up, instead of speeding up the lowering. So it ended up falling nearly 20', hitting two limbs on the way down, landing flat on it's side. Worst loss was a set of see through mounts that got bent over sideways.

I was very fortunate that it didn't do more harm (it was unloaded too), I continued to ground hunt that day and took a nice doe using the factory sights (that I could still see). Glad to hear you already found a replacement stock outdoorguy2000.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Maybe a lower tree stand? More a shrub stand perhaps?
One of the caveats when I was bowhunting was not to build a stand so high you are out of range of the ground. It can also cause interesting angles when you shoot at something. According the MNDNR the leading cause of injuries while deer hunting is falling our of tree stands. Some get so excited after shooting at a deer they walk off the stand. Instead of knots those carabiner clips are handy for lifting up stuff.
IMG_0075.jpg I built the porch on this stand and another to eliminate the need to lift gear and other stuff by rope. I can reach from the ground and place my "stuff" on the porch then climb up.

DEP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts