Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, 5yoa, thinks he's ready to go shooting prairie dogs next summer. He tagged along over labor day weekend. He thinks he can do it. I think he's having a little trouble holding up the rifle...

Maybe I need to get a bipod for him to use.

·
Registered
363 Posts
dad! from that grin on his face, it's a cinch he will be trying it soon. maybe a .22 chipmunk is in order! under close supervision of course...or maybe a daisy? lol!

you are in for some fine times together for sure. keep it fun!

luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've got a small Daisy BB-gun that I've let him shoot. I think we'll start spending some more time with that before next summer. He was sure a trooper when we were out stomping around the PD town the day that picture was taken right up until he stepped in a nice big cow pie! He didn't think that was funny, not even after I did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
cowpies are quite common in KS. You can tell a KS farm girl because her toes are spread apart from walking in fresh cowpies as she grew up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a friend that bought a Marlin 15yn for his 5 & 6 year old boys last summer.

He took them out to shoot it and before long they were doing so well that one of them asked to go chipmunk hunting. So my friend agreed and both boys collected chipmunks with that little rifle w/ open sights.

My 12 yr.old hunts squirrels with his 15yn w/ 3 x 9 on it.

I say. Get that boy his own rifle and keep him in ammunition.

Have fun,
Wannabe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wannabe,
You made it apparent that you are a good trainer of hunters at Shawnee this year. Didn't your son bag more squirrels than you? LOL My chest was puffed out and he wasn't even my son. You do good work.

NotDadsW41,
Your son has that look in his eyes that says he's ready for some intense training...bb guns are great, I still like shooting em. In a few years you'll be in Wannabe's situation and have a bonafied hunting partner. Let the competition begin! LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you guys might be right. I 'll need to see how that little 15Y fit him and go from there. We'll practice with the BB gun as much as we can before next spring I think too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
kids and dogs

Rustynuts,
My grandpa once gave me some advice:
Good bird dogs and kids are a lot alike; give them some good training but, take them hunting often. If you do, they will figure the rest out!

I think he was right.

All,
Thank you for the sincere congrats and encouragement you have given Waxer. And yes we are very proud of him. Even if he did outshoot me at Shawnee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i think i started shootin at around 4 years old. it was a stevens crack shot. i then got the job of rabbit dog. not much more fun then huntin with your dad wether carrying a gun or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
LOL ya'll got me to thinking about the first time I went hunting with my dad. I had a old daisy bb gun and he had his bow. ( I wanted to feel like i was really hunting) We didn't see anything but squirrels but you talking about fun!! I remember it plane as day. The first gun I ever shot a dads old 10/22 that grandad got my dad when he was a kid. I couldn't hit the side of a barn but I try'd hard and I began to really get better.

Aint nothing like shooting and hunting with dad.

DoniphanRedneck

·
Registered
145 Posts
DoniphanRedneck,
I agree 100%! I'm 33 now and hunting with my Dad is way up there on the priority list. I figure in 20 years or so he'll slow down abit and I'll be able to out squirrel him. LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
He is ready! Look at the smile on his face, yeah dad's getting him hooked! Maybe someting a tad lighter though ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On something lighter...

See my thread on the 15Y vs Henry Mini-bolt...

I think I'll go with the Henry. But I want him to pick which one he wants. Maybe I'll get one of each and I'll keep the other for myself...

Hmmm.....

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well.. I am waiting for some action not words and seeing a photo of that young man with his own first firearm :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well that will have to wait until Christmas time at the earliest Gunjunkie!

Or maybe even until next July for his birthday....

Can you stand the wait?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I just may allow it till Christmas.. not sure about next July :D ..

·
Registered
97 Posts
15YN

My 12 year old has a 15YN. MY 10 year old has a Cricket. If I were buying a rifle for a youngster, I would not think twice to by a 15YN. It will fit the child longer. It is easier to put a scope on. It is very accurate. I trust Marlin. He will love what ever you get him.

Good Luck,
Wannabe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts