Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in the 'burbs in East Central Florida. Son just came in saying there was a bald eagle perched on the basket ball hoop. Grabbed the camera and got these 2 shots of a rather large hawk. AC

Attachments

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I live in a subdivision and every so often we have a hawk for a visitor. There is considerable woods around the lake I live by and they probably raise their young there. I was at my sons house last week and we watched a big hawk from his house catch moles. He would fly up on the same limb and sit there for 5 minutes then drop down and catch something but we couldn't tell what he was catching, we just assumed he was catching moles or gophers.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
I live in a subdivision and every so often we have a hawk for a visitor. There is considerable woods around the lake I live by and they probably raise their young there. I was at my sons house last week and we watched a big hawk from his house catch moles. He would fly up on the same limb and sit there for 5 minutes then drop down and catch something but we couldn't tell what he was catching, we just assumed he was catching moles or gophers.
Wish some of the hawks that hang out around our ranch would start catching moles off my place. I'd offer em a commission....

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
1895Gunner, catch one, get one free, if I were a hawk that would definitely work for me. Take care, John.

Reactions: Catherine

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm on a 10 acre 'lake' as well. They call it 'waterfront', but it is really watershed drain off mitigation for the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Washington. (I used to water ski on Lake Washington in the 80's. Was out on the lake a couple of springs ago and never was out of sight of a gator - some well over 6') We get ospreys, otters, huge snapping turtles, gopher tortoises, a bobcat, foxes, usually 'small' gators, (with one notable exception) and I've killed 2 Cotton Mouth Water Moccasins on my back patio. With all the oak trees we are up to our elbows with sqirrels, hence the hawks - its like Denny's for them. Did see a Bald Eagle a couple of blocks away, splendid sight, got real close to him before he took off, at LEAST a 6 foot wing span! All this and less than a mile away from a junior college and a shopping center with a Wally World Neighborhood Market! AC

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good pictures! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.